• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Maxxis Competition Trepadors

NW-ZJ-SCOTT

TEXAS-JT-SCOTT
NAXJA Member
I'm swapping in 1 tons, And plan to run a 37" tire on a 17" wheel.. I Trailer my rig 90% of the time.. But could see needing the jeep If one of my DD's is down, Or in the shop..

I'm also a Huge fan of the MT/R Kevlar.. I loved my 35s.. But I've seen the Comp Trepadors work, And its a Marvelous sight

Talk me out of these tires:rtm:

Toyo MTs or MTZs
thanks-but-no-thanks.png

Ok, if I go with the Sticky treps, get a secondary used set of tires for the street

Got it:nosmile:

meh. i'd rather not have to swap tires before driving to work so my stickys dont lose half of their tread on the highway if my DD decided not to start.

ok, you asked us to talk you out, so get out of those tires. since we are talking you out, we have to talk you into another set. consider maybe some MTR/Ks.

meh. i'd rather not have to swap tires before driving to work so my stickys dont lose half of their tread on the highway if my DD decided not to start.

or leave the road tires on it and swap the treps when it rolls on the trailer to go wheeling :idea:

meh

stickies are a fantasy. they run small too. I'd much rather have an MTR kevlar that runs true and lasts on road. especially with regular old won tons. every inch of ground clearance counts. and at 15lbs, my used kevs measure to 36". and I can drive myself from trail to trail without a second thought. I don't even air back up. radials are great until the sidewall punctures

if you've got loads of dough and you're building a trailered buggy. stickies = win

from what I saw of sticky treps this last week in Harlan, full on ridiculous performance.

ridiculous.

from what I saw of sticky treps this last week in Harlan, full on ridiculous performance.

ridiculous.

Once it gets a little wet red labels walk all over maxxis stickies. Comp tires are great if you have a trailer queen that just crawls, but a good modern radial isn't some junk tire.

either BFG reds or nothing if your talking sticky tires, if its gonna see road time MTR's or Toyo MT's

MTR/K's work great both in the rocks and on the road. I wouldn't mess with the super stickies both from an economical standpoint, and a usability standpoint. Now if it were a full tube buggy that's different. It is an XJ and getting the kids to soccer practice is one of it's duties. :)

Before you drop $2500+ on competition ready tires, be sure to put that $ into perspective. After all it is a lot of your hard earned cash to drop on something that may not be a competition rig.

Personally I would never drop that kind of money on rubber; unless I was planning on competing + picking up sponsors.

They just released some bias ply non comp treps been debating on getting those or some radial iroks. My jeep sees occasional street use so some bias plays wouldn't be to bad. But if your jeep sees more then couple times a month street driving some radials would probably be better.

I have had some 35 inch trep radials for the last few years and they where great in rocks and the dusty trails around here. Worked decent in mud to snow was ok not great though about the same as my old bfg's.

I was talking to a guy on sticky treps this weekend. He gets 2-3 races (100-150 dirt miles) out of a set and they are done.

If you drive on the pavement at all, don't do it :)

Your asking a bunch of guys that dont run or need competition tires if you should get them.

I run the 40in treps competition compound. Super big soft lugs.
I ran the same set for KOH pre-running, KOH qualifying, and 200miles in the race finishing 18th on the same 4 tires. Tires were about half tread with about 300 miles on them. The traction of the tire greatly improved as they wore down.

That day of wheeling might be more then most see in a year.

I chose the treps because at 20 psi they hold up to crazy abuse, and with the sticky compound were still crawlable at 20 psi. They didnt fold over on turns, and were not bouncy which helped for shock tuning. I think its the best fastest tire I can buy for ultra4.

I run maxxis tires on my dirt bike and quads, all for their soft thread compound and durability. No plugs in any of those 10 tires in several years.

Even with a racer's discount the Treps are the most expensive tire option.
Can you even get a set for $2400 as a non racer?

If your not racing and just doing rock crawling have you tried water in your front tires. At least to the top of the hub, or to the top of the rim. Water and stickies is like cheating.

1211370d1392234510-ashmans-jimmys4x4-2011-podium-promod-grand-cherokee-buggy-1619260_3863726769200_1194536753_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back