• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Carrier Bearing bosses

WB9YZU

NAXJA Forum User
D30, Low Pinion, 4.56 Gears.

When I had the Jeep torn down to find the source of a Clicking noise, I found a chipped tooth on the ring gear. Since it was large enough to have a part number on it I proceded to tear it down. When I pulled the carrier, the bearing shells fell off, which I expected.

What happened next took me by suprise, I grabbed a bearing race to hold the carrier and it slid off the carrier. I did the other one, same thing. There isn't slop there, I'm just able to do a shim adjustment without setup bearings :gag:

I'm looking for a temporary solution until I can upgrade from a LP to something else. Since that involves more money, that may not happen for a few K miles.

My 1st impression was once the correct shims were located, to loctite the bearing on to prevent spinning.

Other ideas?

Ron

Buy new bearings and press on, sounds like whoever set up your gears just made a set of set up bearings for you and didn't bother putting on good bearings.

Best plan is a new carrier.

You could stake the carrier journal and use some green loctite if its just a trailrig. We did that for a friends inner pinion bearing.

As stated above- Loctite 37424 (640) Sleeve Retainer. "Restores fit to out of tolerance assemblies" This is what it's meant for and it works. Used on light aircraft wheels when the bearing cup is no longer a snug fit. Permatex has a similar product.

After setting up the carrier, I tried new bearings and they fit the same.

I couldn't find a punch per se, but had some number punches I use to make pistons. I selected a random number and laid down a pattern on each journal, spread HF heavy duty thread lock on the journals, and pressed the bearings on.

I appreciate the suggestions, thanks!

-Ron

JY carriers are generally cheap. Grab yourself one so when the gears wear out in the next 6 months you can fix it right

Guys/Gals, I was looking for a Temporary solution for a worn carrier.
Besides you won't find any D30 3.73 and up carriers in the JY, not in these parts.

Next axle will be something else as I'm tired of replacing gear sets ( this is #2 , and this gives me time to do so without spending any more time on this one.
I also removed the locker and installed spiders.

As long as you know it's a temp solution

Green loctite would have worked better but if you're moving on from the axle it doesn't matter

green locktite is a common fix for Toyota carriers. You should be fine, find an HP 30 to replace it with down the road and build that, or if you want to go "big" then do tons.

Back