• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which parts to take off ZJ?

pipewrench

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a 98 ZJ very cheap. Unfortunately it has the 5.2 and not the 4.0.

If I decide to sell it for parts, what should I keep for my 99XJ? I already have a ZJ fan clutch.

I know of the alternator being the other good upgrade along with tie rod ends. Is there anything else I should consider snagging?

I may keep the ZJ, it runs good but has a transmission problem. I picked it up so cheap I could scrap it and come out ahead. Thanks.

Complete front suspension steering and axle at least for spares. Chances are it all the exact same as what you have in the XJ, including the tie rod. The 5.9 has the HD stuff stock, but HD springs and rod did find there way into some 5.2s. IF it has a 242 or more rare 231 Transfer case get that, the 249 only good as door stop. Alternator, IF it is the high amp version, most are same as XJ 90amp. Drive shafts for spares. The front and rear seat can be used in the XJ with minor labor. Fuel pump for spare. Overhead console can be adapted to the XJ. I know this is sacraledge, But if it runs better than the XJ or better condition, you might consider swapping the 4.0 and AW4 from the XJ to the ZJ. If your XJ and the ZJ both have a D35, you might pull the shafts. The rear brakes can be swaped over to replace the XJ drums.

242 only came with 4.0L in the ZJ. In your 99XJ the front seats are plug n pray.
I believe that only the rare 93 4.0L/ax-15 was backed by a np231.
If you can find a JY/other used trans for cheap, swap it along with a 231 or 242. The 318 is not a BAD engine. Just not great.

Rear discs. The '98 V8 will have them, and you want them.
Tie rod & alt, you mentioned
Wheels may be 16", which is good if you want WJ brakes down the road
Door latches are all the same, if any of yours are jacked up. I remember at least the trunk latch is, anyway.
Seats have been mentioned.
Not much else comes to mind.

Besides what others have said: Steering wheel if you like the one in the ZJ better. The shifter handle will work on the Xj if you like that better too.

The rear axle should be a D44A, so it is not worth keeping and the only parts that will swap are the rear brakes. Grab the prop valve too.

If your doing a part out I might be interested in the VIC.

Thanks for all the replies. I'd like to keep it, depends on what a transmission guy says today. The transmission is very lazy going into second gear. The extent of my transmission knowledge is dropping the pan and changing the filter (which I did and it didn't help)

I've been reading on some ZJ forums, but I'm just going to let this guy check it out.
If it needs to be rebuilt I'll either part it or try selling it whole. If I part it, I'll keep you in mind Talyn. The VIC seems to be working, I haven't played with it much, just scrolled through the menu of languages, units, etc.

It needs to rev higher than what I would consider normal. It doesn't really want to shift before 3 grand. Its smooth when it goes, just takes its time. I checked for codes before dropping it off with my guy today, no codes present.

I had the TPS go out on my XJ, and some very strange things happened. When I get it back I'll see about testing it.

Also, when I dropped the pan there was a little metal on the magnet. I have limited knowledge of transmissions, so I'm not sure if the amount I had was excessive or not. I should have taken a picture to ask some people but I didn't

Back