• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusted Brakes

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
My XJ do not leave the drive way often any more. In fact, it have not been moved for more than 2 months. I have sat in the drive way in Miami for more than 3 years while I was in the Caribbean.

The problem I am having is with the front brake rotors. My front brakes are the Go-Jeep special. They were installed in 2007 and have a total of about 3,000 miles on them. When parked for a while they get a coating of rust on them which result in poor breaking until the rust wear off after several miles. The rear ZJ/Explorer transplant disk brakes do not rust like the front. Could it be that the front are made from poor quality materials? My question is, What could be done to them to prevent them from rusting?

Never noticed any serious rust on mine (also the Ausi kit), or any more than the rear brakes. Condensation will gather on them and will develop some rust. When you say a "while" how long is that?

Never noticed any serious rust on mine (also the Ausi kit), or any more than the rear brakes. Condensation will gather on them and will develop some rust. When you say a "while" how long is that?

Since I am back in the US mid 2011, the XJ could be parked from 3 to 6 months at a time, driven 200 to 400 miles then parked again. The longest was just over 3 years when I was in the Caribbean. As I said, the transplanted rear rotors do not have nearly as much rust as the front and stop the rear wheels good all the time.
The last trip was a 100 drive down I-95 from Jacksonville FL to Daytona Beach then back to Jacksonville. That was the first weekend in May. It have not moved an inch since then. I did a crawl under and look at everything yesterday and was surprised at the rust on the front compared to the back rotors. I do know for sure that the brakes do not hold worth a dam for the first 25 to 50 miles after the XJ have been parked for a while.

Last edited:
Look for some Naval Jelly, brush/spray on, let sit, wash off...drive like crazy Mon.

I do have naval jelly. I will use it next time I plan to take it out.

Thanks for the tip.

In theory, could switch to the composite rotors/unit bearings.

That should clean it up.

However, they are cast and will rust.

Cast rotors and composite rotors,....What is the difference? If the front are cast and rusts quickly and the back ones (from a Grand Cherokee) are composite and rust a lot less then switching to composite rotors would be a good idea. I would think 'Yes'.

:doh: The composite part of "composite brake rotors" means one part is made of stamped steel, and the other cast. The rotor hat is the stamped part and the disc itself is cast. Its done for weight reduction.

..What is the difference?
nothing that matters here.
(from a Grand Cherokee) are composite and rust a lot less then switching to composite rotors would be a good idea. I would think 'Yes'.
The rear are cast as well.

The only other option is to try a set of different rotors.

DBA has recently started selling here and they can get both pads and rotors for the kit. Porterfield Performance can also do a custom pad for them.

DBA 4504 is the plain face
DBA 4504SL/SR are the slotted rotors
DBA 4504XS are drilled and slotted
Pad number is DB1473

[email protected], Ken can get them for you.

If you want another pair of rotors that came with the kit I have a set that I can let go of.

My jeep often sits for a while at a time also. Just drive till the rust is gone rotors rust if you let them sit for long periods. I wouldn't use any naval jellies or anything that could deteriorate seals on brake calipers.

Could always remove and scotch brite them to remove the surface rust but it only takes a mile or so to get the rust removed after you start driving.

I don't think anyone said use naval jelly on the calipers. His rust is on the the rotors.

Yeah but I wouldn't want it anywhere near them and I can imagine some people slathering it on while on the jeep still. That stuff is pretty caustic.

The only other option is to try a set of different rotors.

DBA has recently started selling here and they can get both pads and rotors for the kit. Porterfield Performance can also do a custom pad for them.

DBA 4504 is the plain face
DBA 4504SL/SR are the slotted rotors
DBA 4504XS are drilled and slotted
Pad number is DB1473

[email protected], Ken can get them for you.

If you want another pair of rotors that came with the kit I have a set that I can let go of.

I did drive the XJ today to work, a trip of just over 50 miles. I did not use Naval Jelly. I did not want to dismantle the brakes. After about 2 miles, the brakes were less scary but by the time I got to work they were back to normal.

Thanks for the part numbers listed above. I think I will stick with the rotors I have now. They have low mileage on them and no wear whatsoever. The surface rust do annoy me but that my just be the nature of the beast.

On the pads, I looked up some EBC pads Yellow Stuff # DP41511R which I would like to go with. I am not sure they are available in the US. It may have to be a special order. Anyway, the set of pads on the XJ right now have little more than the break in surface used up and I still have a new never used set sitting with the rest of the XJ parts. The way I understand it is, the present pads are known as 'Police Compound' i.e., They work best when hot. My style of driving could hardly be viewed as 'Police style' or aggressive. I need something that work good from cold all the way up to what most normal drivers will put them through.

Oh! The spear set of pads are looking for a good home.

Yes they are labeled as "police compound". They are a bit less grabby in the cold, but not as bad as some I have used.

Personally, I would never touch an EBC pad again. I have had two sets separate from the backing and I know of a couple other people that have had the same issue.

I do have the same problems on both my Jeeps. The ZJ still has its stock brake setup with good quality rotors and pads. I can't remember the brand, but I don't buy cheap rotors anymore. Same thing.. let either of them sit for a while and they rust. I try not to let them sit longer than a month at a time to prevent this. Vehicles just don't like to sit.

BTW, I do believe you were one of the people that I imported the AUS brakes for.

BTW, I do believe you were one of the people that I imported the AUS brakes for.

Yes, I am one of the original purchasers. I placed my order while working in the Caribbean in 2006. Received them by the time I got back to the US. I left the US again shortly after. I did the install in July of 2009 and left again a few weeks later. The install was very easy and straight forward and so far I am reasonably pleased with the results. The only thing I would like to change is the quality of pads. I need something that work both cold and hot. To date, I doubt I have more than 3,000 miles on them.

Back