• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stuck High Idle 3250 RPM

Jeeplife7926

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for what can cause an idle to be stuck high at 3250 rpm, Does this high of rpms narrow it down and indicate something specific as my problem. /B]

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport I6 4.0

Start the XJ and the idle immediately jumps to 3250 rpms and stays there.

First time I have started the Cherokee in 6 months.
I put a lot of work into the XJ last 6 months

Short list of projects while my XJ was down.
-Doug Thorley Exhaust Manifold, Custom Downpipe and complete 2.5 SS exhaust no restrictions mandrel bent. Brown Dogs, Trans Mount, Fuel Injector upgrade. HO Intake manifold Horshoe swap. New 02 Sensors.
and cleaned all dirt from 10 years of wheeling

Just wanted to mention above that I had been seriously working on my XJ so this information might be helpful to solve my high idle.

I was afraid to put it into drive or reverse because of the High Idle and how loud it sounded. so i'm not sure if driving it might lower it down.

I did some research and found information on what might cause high idle. I am going to start checking all of these options.

So far I inspected my TB. butterfly is not stuck open
I removed and cleaned the IAC it was full of carbon. Did not fix.
Unplugged IAC wire connector and did not change idle.
I read people clean the IAC when the think 1200 is a high idle

Looking for what can cause an idle to be stuck high at 3250 rpm, Does this high of rpms narrow it down and indicate something specific as my problem. /B]

Just for grins, check the throttle position sensor. Mine would idle at 2K, replaced TPS, problem solved. It isn't immediately obvious how the TPS changes idle speed but it's by altering amount of fuel and not telling the computer to take over the idle mixture.
You've had the intake / exhaust manifolds out, the injectors swapped, and the throttle body swapped onto a new manifold. Each and every one of those things *could* result in a vacuum / exhaust leak* leading to high idle by it's lonesome. Buy some brake cleaner (or some water in a spray bottle?) and shoot it at each injector, each port on the intake and at the throttle body in turn. If your idle shoots higher, you've got your leak.
You can also run some Sea Foam in the engine (search for how) through the intake and let the smoke tell you if your exhaust has leaks.
*My thinking is that an exhaust manifold leak could lead to a false lean reading, at which point the computer adds fuel and the idle speed increases. I'm not 100% on that.

As suggested, there is most likely an intake manifold leak or a vacuum leak. You will need to locate and fix that. Start at the intake manifold.

An exhaust leak would not cause high idle.

Solved!!

-New head gasket installation solved High Idle @ 3000RPM

Thankyou,
It was a good call to check the intake and exhaust manifold.
I wrenched checked the manifolds hardware and all were torqued tight.
The intake has 2 notches that hold it in the right spot, those circles where on the notches perfectly in place.
Upon visual inspection everything looked solid.
But even though everything looked good visually,
It was the manifolds. I read to use carburetor fluid while idling, was told the idle would settle and pinpoint a leak.
It worked found manifolds must have leak on a 2 intake ports.
As read and recommended removed and installed the NAPA Felpro gasket
With installation of the head gasket the rpms settled down.
I was able to drive my XJ first time in 7 months.

Currently putting together a build thread. Ill link it if completed.
Has been a lot of projecting and added so much new stuff at once.

Images of my Jeep XJ

Notes:
Make sure to use an rtv copper spray on the gaskets. (Thanks Napa)

I did alot of research and found Bronze was the best bolt hardware for manifolds. (Thanks Fastenal)
Use Loctite 271 or 272 Hi Temp and strength for manifold hardware, Hard to find but worth it. (Thanks Fastenal)

Last edited:
Back