• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 XJ Won't Start. Recurring Problem.

Terrific

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 XJ with 97,000 miles. About a month ago, then engine died while the Jeep was stopped, and idling in Drive, at a drive thru. It wouldn't restart.

The engine would turn over like normal, but no crank. I pulled a plug wire and no spark. I pulled the distributor cap, and the electrode inside the center of the cap was gone and the area where it was was a little melted. The center portion of the rotor button was also melted.

I replaced cap and rotor, and it fired right up.

A week later, the Jeep shut off again, while idling in Drive again.

The cap and rotor button were perfect this time. On a whim, I swapped the disc under the rotor button (cam position sensor?), since it may have gotten hot the first time, with an old one off an old distributor.

It started right up.

Today the Jeep died while idling in Drive at another drive thru. The cap, rotor button, and cam position sensor look fine. The engine turns over, but no start.

Before I start replacing parts, does anyone here have an idea?

I'm thinking coil, and coil wire.

Or crank sensor. They fail often enough some folks keep a spare under the seat. These things can fail hot but test fine cold.

Crank position sensor and or a bad fuel regulator would be my first starting points. The crank position sensors tend to go out if they get wet oily or anything else looks at them funny.

Make sure all the tune-up parts are fresh.

Test the CPS, carry a spare.

Back