• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans Cooler in Relation to AC Condenser

beasticles

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ. I installed a rather large 11"x11" trans cooler recently (two weeks ago). I positioned it in front of the mechanical fan, on the outside of both the radiator (duh) and the AC condenser, so it gets hit first. Before this mod, I never noticed my AC having any trouble staying cool. We obviously have been hit with some broiling temps in the 95* range and up recently, and I have noticed my AC is not getting cold on these hot days. I can tell its "kind of" cool, but not as cold as it should be.

Is it likely that the positioning of my large trans cooler is blocking enough of the AC condenser to make a difference in the ability of the AC system to cool? Right now the AC condenser is sandwiched between the radiator and the new trans cooler. I don't know mechanics of the AC system so not sure if that is even what the condenser does/would make a difference.

I am contemplating moving the trans cooler behind the AC condenser, but before doing so I wanted to know if this actually makes any sense. Most DIY trans cooler installs instructions i have read indicate the trans cooler goes outside of the ac condenser.

I did a search, both on NAXJA and Google, came up with nothing. This leads me to believe there might be an underlying issue with my AC system. I just find it odd the AC was working fine until I installed the trans cooler. Perhaps the higher ambient temps?

Thoughts?

behind the condenser is a radiator..... behind that is a fan..... i would move it to the other side of the condenser in front of the e-fan and see if it makes a difference.
why such a large cooler?

behind the condenser is a radiator..... behind that is a fan..... i would move it to the other side of the condenser in front of the e-fan and see if it makes a difference.
why such a large cooler?

I have seen many people recommend installing the trans cooler in front of the mechanical fan to increase airflow through the cooler.

It was in stock nearby and fit well, I also read that generally with trans cooler installs bigger is better. No one ever really mentions the AC condenser.

I agree that moving trans cooler behind the AC condenser may reduce the effectiveness of the cooler, but it still likely will be a great improvement over stock. I'll likely play around with the location of the cooler as you suggested.

Last edited:
Well, my a/c doesn't work, so I can't help there:). I have two large PIAA driving lights on a brush guard, so I mounted mine in the middle of the grill.

Mine is the same size as yours, and yet I am only getting about a 25f drop from the old factory cooler. I read that big was better when it came to coolers, and I'm glad I didn't install a smaller one. I put the power steering cooler in front of the efan, which I have an over ride switch for.

I actually think my Jeep is running cooler than before. Maybe cooler fluid coming from the trans to the radiator?

You're blocking airflow through the condenser + preheating some of the condenser's air.
Bigger is better "for the trans", up to a point (you actually *can* run a tranny too cold)
but pre-heating condenser / radiator airflow and obstructing it? Not helpful.
the factory tow package cooler is about 1/3 - 1/4 the size of what you installed. You're unlikely to over-cool things in GA but I'd still say "overkill" and "blocking your AC condenser"

My Tru-cool I installed was 9 1/2 x 11, but only 3/4" thick. Tony's was 1 1/2" thick, so I'm sure that gives more cooling than a thinner one. I couldn't have fitted your cooler on my 87(too thick).

Wanted to post an update that I moved the location of the trans cooler this weekend so that it sits "lower", with about 75% of it below the bottom of the condenser. I also added 1/2" spacers between it and the AC condenser. Seemed to help some, but ultimately I think my AC just isn't getting that cold (a different issue). So in all likelihood it's probably good that I moved it, but it likely was having a minimal impact on my AC condensers ability to dissipate heat from the AC system.

Wanted to post an update that I moved the location of the trans cooler this weekend so that it sits "lower", with about 75% of it below the bottom of the condenser. I also added 1/2" spacers between it and the AC condenser. Seemed to help some, but ultimately I think my AC just isn't getting that cold (a different issue). So in all likelihood it's probably good that I moved it, but it likely was having a minimal impact on my AC condensers ability to dissipate heat from the AC system.

Thank you for the up date!

Is your AC fully charged/ system sealed correctly?

Is your AC fully charged/ system sealed correctly?

It is fully charged. I stupidly had the high pressure sensor plug disconnected earlier in the season and thought my AC was shot. Must have knocked it loose when installing a new alternator. Plugged it back in and the system was running cool, but I figured I would top it off. I should have just waited and seen how it was working before topping it off, so I could use that as a baseline reading, but I didn't think ahead at the time.

I have used those recharge kits before and when I had the engine running with the AC on the below pressure gauge (similar to mine) read at the bottom of the blue, so about 25psi, I filled it up until it was at the bottom of the yellow line, or about 45 psi. Do you think I may have overfilled the system?

14639822683_780071354d_o.jpg

Back