• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replaced axle seal, still leaking

Empty_Pockets

NAXJA Forum User
Replaced my front axle seals, while I was in there I also added a lokka locker, solid diff cover, and lube locker gasket. The solid cover is deeper and has a much higher fill plug than the stock cover, their website says that the cover provides increased oil capacity , well I filled it to the hole, about 2 and 1/4 quarts and now the axle seals are leaking trucks sat for a few days and there's a little puddle on each side. Leaking because it's overfilled?

In the same vain...
Did you clean the axle tubes when you did the seals?

When I re-install axle shafts, I smear grease on the area on the shafts where the seals make contact. This helps prelube the seals and prevents the seals starting their life dry.

I have a Solid cover on my LP D30. The axle seals don't leak.
However, if it makes you feel better, only put in line up to the old fill level.

-Ron

Did you test fit the seal on the shafts to be %100 is was the right seal? A few times i have been given seals with the wrong ID but the right OD. The other thing is how did the shafts look? Any groove in them? If the groove is to deep then new seals wont do much. Filling it up to the seals shouldn't make them leak. If that was the case then the things would leak anyway. When your moving its just out of control with the splashing oil in the case so the seals have oil on them all the time when moving anyway. Check your vent to see if its blocked. If its not clear then when the diff heats up it will push oil past the seals till it cools back down. The only other thing i can think of is a bent housing.

Thanks for the suggestions , I checked the seals on the shafts before installing and they had a nice tight seal, I didn't check the shafts for scoring. I'll have to pull the shafts and check them. I'm going to try removing some fluid first, the fill plug in the solid cover is above the tie rod so the seals are completely submerged

Back