• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Cooler Install - which fittings?

Root Moose

NAXJA Forum User
I tried copying Tony_SS's transmission cooler install but have run into an issue in that either it didn't come with the correct/ same fittings or I'm doing something wrong.

Here's Tony's install:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=246080868&postcount=53

I got the exact same kit... kind of flustered right now. Serves me right for leaving mods to the last moment before a big road trip I guess.

Does anyone know what size/ description the compression fitting is at the top for the transmission return?

Jeep is a 2001.

Any help much appreciated.

FWIW, I installed the cooler on the driver's side of the grille opening. Two straps down from the header and one up of the passenger side of the cooler down the front cross-member and the strap holes line up with a random bolt hole in the cross-member. Solid mounting top and bottom and no drilling. Very flukey!

Last edited:
Thanks guys, that gives me two things to try... like having options. I'll try to get the Hayden fittings and failing that I'll splice into the factory line.

If you copied Tony_SS, it would have worked. I copied his and was done in about 1.5 hours with a trip to the store to get some more hose.

If you copied Tony_SS, it would have worked. I copied his and was done in about 1.5 hours with a trip to the store to get some more hose.

Looking at his images it appears the fitting he used going into the radiator is male. I have a male fitting coming out of the radiator so that won't work

I took the large external nut off the radiator tank, thinking that maybe it was part of the male fitting coming out of the tank but it is not.

Ideas? Did the fittings change in 2001? I wouldn't have thought so but...

Will do!

Your stock trans line screws right into the radiator on the top fitting... you simply unscrew that to expose the female connection. Then screw in the male fitting supplied by the kit and attach the return hose to the trans cooler.

This is also an option for the return line going to from the cooler to the trans.. I may do this in the future instead of futzing around with those stupid factory connectors.

However, what I did for mine, which I think is the easier route, is make one snip in the soft line returning to the transmission, and use two of these to connect to each hose leading to and from the cooler;

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/i...nsmission+line

Yeah, thing is my line is female and the radiator is male...

I'll snap some images this evening.

If the factory fitting can't be worked around I'll connect in the soft line.

I followed Tony's, and got 2 3/8" brass barbed fittings at Home Depot. Advance was out of the hose splice kit.

Was it worth it? You bet. Yesterday it was about 95f, and the pan temp stayed about 175f. I didn't bypass the radiator cooler. Previously the pan temp would run 190-210. Up to 230 under load. A great mod.

I also put on the Advance Auto "imperial" power steering cooler. The fluid stayed about 140f, per an infrared gun. Bring on the heat:)

Finally back in the shop.

Here are the pictures of the fitting that I am dealing with.

rad_fitting.jpg

rad_fitting_loose.jpg

The bottom image shows the "collar" that threads over the the threaded line with the male compression fitting that is the line that runs through the tank.

I'm going to splice into the soft line under the radiator. I can probably find the correct fitting if I knew if it was a 45 degree or 37 degree compression fitting but at this point I need to get this done and splicing the soft line is easy enough. Wish I had thought about that when I started.

At this point I've curious when and why these fittings changed.

This is the style of fitting that I (we) was (were) expecting?

rad_fitting_expected.jpg

Not sure what vintage that rad is - either early ChryCo or RENIX.

Nope, tried that... once you take that sleeved nut or whatever you call it out the line is flopping around loose inside the radiator tank.

I had the same problem with the fittings and my 99 xj. I just bypassed the radiator all together out of frustration.

Back