• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering jumping/binding

cmahaff

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, posting this here because I have a few aftermarket parts.

I have finished replacing my tie rod with a zj replacement. Left the drag link stock.
I installed JKS disconnects. And a JKS adjustable track bar.
New Moog coils that added about an inch.
And .75 spacers.
New shocks and steering stabilizer.
Greased all the zerts.
Got an alignment. (It still drifts to the right, I'm waiting on new tires arriving Thursday to see if that makes a difference)

My steering has tightened up a lot. Which I think feels better. The main question at the moment....

Upon uturns or tight turns I notice some jumping or skipping. Enough to chirp the tires if there's paint on the ground. Kind of like when 4 wheel drive is engaged, but not as dramatic. The steering is not locked when I'm noticing this.
It seems as though the power steering is very whiney as well. Whines a lot even when the steering isn't locked over.

I haven't driven her in over a year, but I don't remember that happening before.

Hi, posting this here because I have a few aftermarket parts.

I have finished replacing my tie rod with a zj replacement. Left the drag link stock.
I installed JKS disconnects. And a JKS adjustable track bar.
New Moog coils that added about an inch.
And .75 spacers.
New shocks and steering stabilizer.
Greased all the zerts.
Got an alignment. (It still drifts to the right, I'm waiting on new tires arriving Thursday to see if that makes a difference)

My steering has tightened up a lot. Which I think feels better. The main question at the moment....

Upon uturns or tight turns I notice some jumping or skipping. Enough to chirp the tires if there's paint on the ground. Kind of like when 4 wheel drive is engaged, but not as dramatic. The steering is not locked when I'm noticing this.
It seems as though the power steering is very whiney as well. Whines a lot even when the steering isn't locked over.

I haven't driven her in over a year, but I don't remember that happening before.

Either your alignment was done incorrectly or you have bad steering/axle componets. Have someone cycle your steering while running and parked so you can get a close look at your front end! Double check your tierod, draglink and tracbar. Also when you have your front lifted/jackstands grab your tires and see if there is movement up and down as well as side to side. Doing this should let you know if you have bad unit bearings or balljoints. And again I suggest posting in the CO chapter..... :cool:

Ah yes. I've never been a part of a forum with chapters. I keep forgetting. I will go link it there.

No noticeable play in the wheels up or down or side to side.

When I'm looking at the steering components under action, I'm not exactly sure what movement to look for. I'd like to post a video of my track bar to make sure it's moving properly. The joint on the JKS is new to me and I can't tell. Shoot all this is new to me. From what I can tell the axle is centered pretty well.

It is normal for the PS to be so whiney

Ah yes. I've never been a part of a forum with chapters. I keep forgetting. I will go link it there.

I would strongly avise you to do so as there are many CO folk that know Cherokees who may be right around the block from you.

No noticeable play in the wheels up or down or side to side.

You need to make sure! There should be NO movement at all.

When I'm looking at the steering components under action, I'm not exactly sure what movement to look for. I'd like to post a video of my track bar to make sure it's moving properly. The joint on the JKS is new to me and I can't tell. Shoot all this is new to me. From what I can tell the axle is centered pretty well.

This is exactly why I am suggesting posting in the CO chapter as you may have someone close that can look for you.

It is normal for the PS to be so whiney

NO!!

Haha OK OK! I'll post in the CO section. Your reply gave me a chuckle. I wonder if I can link from this Tapatalk app. I may have to wait until I'm on a PC

Haha OK OK! I'll post in the CO section. Your reply gave me a chuckle. I wonder if I can link from this Tapatalk app. I may have to wait until I'm on a PC

You should be able to link Taptalk, I know others here that do. I however do not use Taptalk, so you are on your own there ;)

I did it, Colorado chapter here I come

Be sure to give your general location in CO along with your Jeeps specs and issue for best results. There are some good peeps here in CO :D

What you are describing on tight turns sounds like a bad front axle ujoint.

that's kind of what I keep hearing. what other symptoms might there be? I've jacked it up and can't see or feel any play up down or side to side
In the beginning of u-joint failure there usually won't be any noticeable play. There will be rust binding one or more caps, and that binding is what you are feeling on turns. Left as is, the bearings in the caps will grind to dust and then there will be very noticeable play.

To diagnose this, the wheels must be off the ground. Turn the steering to approximate the same angle you feel the bind while driving and then spin the wheel/tire by hand. If a u-joint is binding you will feel it as a resistance to spin. Many times, even if you can't feel the binding by hand spinning, you can visually see rust dust around the seal on one or more caps.

Re: Re: Steering jumping/binding

In the beginning of u-joint failure there usually won't be any noticeable play. There will be rust binding one or more caps, and that binding is what you are feeling on turns. Left as is, the bearings in the caps will grind to dust and then there will be very noticeable play.

To diagnose this, the wheels must be off the ground. Turn the steering to approximate the same angle you feel the bind while driving and then spin the wheel/tire by hand. If a u-joint is binding you will feel it as a resistance to spin. Many times, even if you can't feel the binding by hand spinning, you can visually see rust dust around the seal on one or more caps.
cool, thank you. had them looked at today with another member, solarflex and we decided they aren't in dire need of replacement yet. there doesn't seem to be much of the rust dust you speak of. so that's good, for now. I will replace them soon. the binding turned out to be insignificant and just magnified by my normal anxiety.

thanks for the tips everyone!

Also, long shot but I've had this happen after doing maintenance, make sure the three bolts attaching the unibearing to the knuckle have not loosened.

Kinda scary to realize that had happened after the fact.

Re: Re: Steering jumping/binding

Also, long shot but I've had this happen after doing maintenance, make sure the three bolts attaching the unibearing to the knuckle have not loosened.

Kinda scary to realize that had happened after the fact.
awesome good looking out. I will find those bolts and check them

Back