• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I swap my Dana 44 for a ford 8.8?

guyinthejeeprealty

NAXJA Forum User
I have a Dana 44 in the rear with the 3.55s and I want to go to 4.10s. At first I was going to regear but ring and pinion with the bearing kit is about $300. I think I could pick up a ford 8.8 with 4.10s, disk brakes, and a limited slip for about $200 then all the other stuff I need for a total of about $300. What's everyone's opinions? My biggest worry is the 1.25" narrower because I already have wheel adapters to fit my 17" Jk wheels and the 255/75/17s. So I think if I did the swap i'd have to get new thicker adapters for the rear? From some brief studying it almost appears easier to do the axle swap, what do you think?

swapping a rear axle is very strait forward. but i found when swapping in my 9" that its the little things that nickel and dime you to death and put you over budget. paint, brake lines, brakes, hardware, fluids... crap, now i got to change my driveshaft. crap, while im in here i might as well raise my shocks. shoot, the welder just ran out of wire.

personally, the strength gain (if there is one) is minimal at best, and not worth the work. but with the pending regear, i can see the appeal of the 8.8. if the 44 doesnt need anything more than a regear, id stick with that. on the other hand... you should be able to recoup some funds for a bolt in 44.

some extra questions:
is this going to be your first regear? is someone going to help you or do it for you? paying to have it done?

flip a coin? :dunno:

swapping a rear axle is very strait forward. but i found when swapping in my 9" that its the little things that nickel and dime you to death and put you over budget. paint, brake lines, brakes, hardware, fluids... crap, now i got to change my driveshaft. crap, while im in here i might as well raise my shocks. shoot, the welder just ran out of wire.

personally, the strength gain (if there is one) is minimal at best, and not worth the work. but with the pending regear, i can see the appeal of the 8.8. if the 44 doesnt need anything more than a regear, id stick with that. on the other hand... you should be able to recoup some funds for a bolt in 44.

some extra questions:
is this going to be your first regear? is someone going to help you or do it for you? paying to have it done?

flip a coin? :dunno:

Good advice here :eeks1:

I believe the ford 8.8 is much closer to D60 and a fair bit stronger than the D44.

The chart I read put the 8.25 and the D44 in the similar strength category

Copy and pasted from a thread on cherokeeforum

(Numbers from January edition of Fourwheeler, page 60.)
Dana 35 rear axle COT: 870 MOT: 3480
Dana 44 rear axle COT: 1100 MOT: 4460
Ford 8.8 28spline COT: 1250 MOT: 4600
Ford 8.8 31spline COT: 1360 MOT: 5100
Dana60 semifloat COT: 1500 MOT: 5500]

IMO, the 8.8 dosent compare to the dana 60. I would place the 8.8 just under the ford 9". ;)
I currently have a dana 44 rear that i grabbed out the JY. Honestly, if i had the choice again, I would go for the 8.8. The axle shafts and parts are more plentiful.
My dana 44 has been very solid however, no problems and I haven't snapped a shaft yet. (Currently on 32", locked)
A good thing to note; if its a JY 8.8 plan on buying new seals, bearings, oil, and possibly new brakes. The little things really do add up.
You also might be able to sell the dana44 to recoup some cost invested into the 8.8.

Last edited:
Have you broke it yet?

One of my buddies likes the GM products above all, yet he prefers the D-44 for aftermarket support.

shaft spline count and diameter is comparable between the 44 and 8.8
the 8.8 ring gear is indeed .3" larger in diameter.
i dont recall tube diameter and thickness between the two housings, but i do know the 8.8s have a tendency to spin if not welded.
the 8.8 is also C-clip in design.

with that factor alone... id stick with the non c-clip 44. i recently spit a shaft and destroyed a lunchbox locker on an 8.25. while i had everything to do the repair (including tools, reusable gasket, and fluids) pulling that C-clip was an absolute pain, where as a non C-clip axle could have been limped to a trailer.

i now have a big bearing 9". much more beef... and while its probably not what the OP think fits... itd be the axle id swap if a swap was indeed needed. i actually GAINED ground clearance over the stock 8.25 after my shave job was done.

Other than the C clip, of which they make a C clip eliminator kit, what's the problem with an 8.8?

If your capable of doing the swap, I assume you be welding on the new spring perches and therefore would also be able to weld the tubes.

The disc brake 8.8 is very easy to find around here, I can usually find on every trip to pick n pull, and is less than $100 on a half price weekend, I've yet to come accross a 8.25 or a xj factory D44.

Other than the C clip, of which they make a C clip eliminator kit, what's the problem with an 8.8?

It's a good axle. C-clip eliminators are for race only ..... but who pays attention to that crap anyway....:twak:

If your capable of doing the swap, I assume you be welding on the new spring perches and therefore would also be able to weld the tubes.

He could I assume but it costs..

The disc brake 8.8 is very easy to find around here, I can usually find on every trip to pick n pull, and is less than $100 on a half price weekend, I've yet to come accross a 8.25 or a xj factory D44.

D44 stuff is very common in JYs and personally I dont source replacement axle parts in the JY......

It's a good axle. C-clip eliminators are for race only ..... but who pays attention to that crap anyway....:twak:

says who?

D44 stuff is very common in JYs and personally I dont source replacement axle parts in the JY......

the d44 stuff has become rather scarce around here. that is one advantage to the 8.8, they are plentiful. but if I already had a d44 I wouldn't bother with an 8.8, unless it was already locked and the 44 wasn't

This will be my first regear and I do have help lined up if I do end up going that route. I do have have access to a welder and have good welding skills if I go that route. I did flex it out today and it looks like I have room for both tires to come in 5/8 of an inch and not rub if I do the narrower 8.8. I really like the idea of being able to sell the Dana 44 to help fund the front regear. The most appealing thing to me about the swap is the limited slip, and disk brakes. I don't know, I'm still so torn

I'd rather have a Freshly setup Dana 44, New bearings, seals, Gears.. etc And NOT have C-clips... NOT have to deal with the E-brake swap, NOT have to change wheel spacers or whatever..

This is a pretty easy answer for me.. A fresh Dana 44 sounds better then a Junkyard axle

The last time I looked, the manufacturer.......... DUH :twak:

which mfg are you talking to?

the best C-clip eliminator for the 8.8 was the super88 from Superior. its the kit I run, is over 10 years old and has well over 100k on it. I know the guy who designed it and I can assure you it isn't "race only"

Yukon knocked it off with the "ultimate 88" and their kit also doesn't say "race only"

i dont recall tube diameter and thickness between the two housings,

XJ44 is 2.75"OD.. 8.8 3"OD, not sure on the thickness.

My 44 was recently rebuilt and bracketed for my ZJ build, after 15 years of moderate wheelin it needed a slight tube straightening.

The only thing i consider a drawback on the XJ44 is the onshaft bearings, and that's only for roadside repair if needed.

i'd rather have a c-clip than a c-clip eliminator.

i'd rather have a dana 44 than an 8.8.

Back