• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windshield Washer Reservoir / Tank Styles?

Root Moose

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a Chinese knock off of the ARB snorkel on my 2001.

This means the inner fender washer bottle has to go away as it interferes with the snorkel hose. <doh! Forgot about that!>

I have a washer bottle off a 1992 (I think) that can fit in the engine bay between the vacuum booster and the OEM air box. <Where's my ARB compressor going to go now?> It's really tight, like touching tight the booster and air box tight.

Did the earlier Cherokees, RENIX era, have a different shaped tank that went in the same location but has more clearance?

I did some googling and it looks like there may be a different tank from RENIX to early ChryCo but I wanted to confirm before trying to find one.

Also, where can I get a replacement cap for the tank I have? It's missing the cap and it looks like it may be the style that has a grommet that fits into the tank lip and then the lid is attached to that.

Thx.

That looks pretty good but that's where the PCM is on a stock engine XJ.

That lid style is exactly the one I need...

This is out of a ZJ.

I believe the Renix era had a similar sized and shaped bottle that mounted to the cowl on the passenger side that people have used in the same location as that image, but I found the ZJ bottle first.

I installed it at the same time as my cowl intake so I honestly don't remember if it fits with the stock airbox still installed though.

Thanks for that. I'll try to gauge the size of the tank when I go out to the shop in the morning. I have a feeling that is a touch too big though.

I believe that the renix tank is about the size of the "turtle" coolant tank on the renix.

You could go to a cowl type air intake and move the washer bottle to the now empty spot that the air box was using. That way you are not cramming so much in a small space.

The old style XJ washer bottle fits on the passenger side between the PDC and firewall. That is why you are having trouble fitting it on the driver side. :p My 1987 and both my 1996s had them in this spot.

gallery_1_5_145608.jpg

The Renix years (87-90) used a washer bottle that lived on the driver's fender by the brake booster. The problem with trying to put this in a later XJ is that you have a dual diaphragm booster which the Renix XJs did not have. I know several people have done it successfully though in 97+ rigs and the screw holes are still there for it. Here is a picture of my '90 when it still had Renix components.

If you are looking to sell or trade your washer bottle I would be happy to trade you a Renix era bottle (like pictured) for your 97+. PM me if interested in that.

Thanks,
Collin

Thanks guys, very helpful!

@Alexia, I think the air con stuff may interfere there now that I see your image. :( But maybe I can move that bottle to the other side between the air box and the booster. That is not the bottle I have.

@BIGSLVRXJ, that appears to be the tank I have... and it is super tight fitting. I will take a photo and post later.

Thx all.

Thanks guys, very helpful!

@Alexia, I think the air con stuff may interfere there now that I see your image. :( But maybe I can move that bottle to the other side between the air box and the booster. That is not the bottle I have.

@BIGSLVRXJ, that appears to be the tank I have... and it is super tight fitting. I will take a photo and post later.

Thx all.

I looked at the tank I removed from my 1987. Looks like someone swapped in a newer one from 1992-ish to 1996 on the Renix setup I had.

Ugh, I just drilled too holes in the tank I had for the second pump and the level sensor. By the time I filed them clean of course they are too loose and leak now. Dumb ass! Should have started with the smaller hole saw.

So, still need a tank.

Ugh, I just drilled too holes in the tank I had for the second pump and the level sensor. By the time I filed them clean of course they are too loose and leak now. Dumb ass! Should have started with the smaller hole saw.

So, still need a tank.

You, my friend, need a tube of RTV so you can compensate for these "learning experiences". Cheaper & faster than doing it again (though you won't get the practice). Consider it a cheap lesson at $5 or so in RTV.

Yeah, I was thinking about cutting out some plastic from another tank, drill the holes properly and then use some of that plastic weld glue stuff to put them into the tank I need.

But RTV may be faster...

I thought this project had moved on. Anyway, when I installed a dual diaphragm booster in my '90, I heated up the W.W. reservoir to mold it around the vacuum booster. The reservoir mounts in the stock location for a RENIX era XJ.

I have the 95-96 booster in my 88 and the washer tank is still stock renix, just moved the mounting holes further forward. Ill try to post pics

10511351_10152602428814078_4370984032710493288_n.jpg

10526050_10152602428819078_2267719370942059411_n.jpg

Back