• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No lift HD leaf springs?

moparmansfield

NAXJA Forum User
My stock leafs are completely shot on my 99 xj. My ride height is just around where I want it though, with maybe 1-1.5' more lift. I'm trying to find some leafs with a stronger main and a little stiffer, but not a lift leaf as I already have longer shackles and relocation boxes (around 3.5 lift). Anyone know of a stockish height leaf that is a bit stiffer and stronger?

You can see my backwards bending springs I have on there now. On level ground they are very flat, which I've heard is a good thing? But I'm not a fan of them bending the wrong way. I've seen plenty of pics of bent/broken stock main leafs. It is properly bump stopped in the rear btw. It is sitting on the bump in this pic.

Hrm. If I'm understanding you correctly, you want to stay at 3.5" lift with shackles & relocation boxes & replace your springs because they are worn out.
Sounds to me like switching back to your stock shackle & putting some Crown HD replacement springs should get you there.
If your stock springs are shot, replacing them is going to add "lift", so I'd compensate by removing shackle.

Take some measurements of front to center pin rear to center pin and overall front to rear lengths. And hit the junk yard there are more then a few 1/2 ton applications that you can pull a main leaf from and use to do what you want. If I remember correctly mid 90's dodge or ford vans full size vans not no Aerostar had main leafs that worked. And the junkyards around me had like 30 of them.

Their weight capacity was higher then the stock main leaf from the xj so it won't flatten out as easy. But it didn't have a huge arch to it either so didn't provide much if any lift. Sorry i dont have better info on the van specifics just take detailed measurements an bring a tape measure and plenty of wrenches sockets and a hacksaw should cost around 25-40 bucks for the pair as well if the place aint a ripoff shack.

Im trying to keep the shackles I have now. I don't mind an extra inch of lift. I can always move the shackle a hole forward to drop it a bit. I'll check out the crown hd springs.

Take some measurements of front to center pin rear to center pin and overall front to rear lengths. And hit the junk yard there are more then a few 1/2 ton applications that you can pull a main leaf from and use to do what you want. If I remember correctly mid 90's dodge or ford vans full size vans not no Aerostar had main leafs that worked. And the junkyards around me had like 30 of them.

Their weight capacity was higher then the stock main leaf from the xj so it won't flatten out as easy. But it didn't have a huge arch to it either so didn't provide much if any lift. Sorry i dont have better info on the van specifics just take detailed measurements an bring a tape measure and plenty of wrenches sockets and a hacksaw should cost around 25-40 bucks for the pair as well if the place aint a ripoff shack.

I definitely thought about doing this as a couple guys I know have done this. I'm just being lazy and would rather just pick some up new.

Found this posting on a search. -

Usually, HD springs from Crown add about 1" of lift. Load Rating 675 springs would be considered normal for a 4x4 4.0L XJ.

Leaf Spring Specifications

Springs, rear
LL - 3-1/8" free arch, load rating 405
LM - 5-5/8" free arch, load rating 605
LS - 6" free arch, load rating 675
LT - 7" free arch, load rating 755 UpCountry + 1 "

Dealer part numbers:
52000050 Standard Duty, Coded LB
52000051 Standard Duty, Coded LC, EC
52000706 Standard Duty, Coded LN, ES
52000544 Heavy Duty, Coded LK
52000545 Heavy Duty, Coded LL, EL
52000707 Heavy Duty, Coded LM
52002390 Heavy Duty, Coded LS
52002392 Heavy Duty, Coded LT ( UpCountry package +1” leaf spring)

Crown catalog part numbers:
84/01 Standard Duty (LL ) 4 leaf - Jeep P/N 52000051
84/01 Heavy Duty (LS, ZGV, ZVV) 4 leaf -Jeep P/N 4886185
84/01 Heavy Duty (LT, ZGW, ZVW) 4 leaf -Jeep P/N 4886186 or 52002392 - UpCountry + 1”
84/01 Heavy Duty (LK ) 4 leaf - Jeep P/N 4886187
84/01 Heavy Duty (LN, ZUU, ZFU) 4 leaf - Jeep P/N 52000706
84/01 Heavy Duty (LM, ZGU, ZVU) 4 leaf - Jeep P/N 52000707

Coil Springs - Springs with a G in the letter spring codes are UpCountry package +1” springs
ZGK or GK UpCountry +1” coil - Jeep P/N 52001793
ZGL or GL UpCountry +1” coil - Jeep P/N 52001794
FF FH FJ stock size - Jeep P/N 52088102

I'll probably end up buying the crown hds as jcwhitney has a 10% coupon, so 150 shipped for the pair.

I definitely thought about doing this as a couple guys I know have done this. I'm just being lazy and would rather just pick some up new.

As I get older I've started to adopt this line of thinking more and more. Some times it's easier to spend a little money rather then spending a lot of time to get similar results.

I reworked my mounts to accept a full S10 spring back, partially outta necessity. The bolts were rusted solid and broke trying to remove the old springs.

With the full S10 pack I got 4" of lift, but you could cannibalize a few of the main leafs to build a HD bastard pack.

Back