• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauges and dome light stop working, what did i do??

01classicxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hello. I stripped out my headliner awhile back. Have the factory dome cluster hanging in its same place. Everything has been working fine. Decided to clean up the wires along the inside roof and put some small plastic wire loom over it. I dont use my visor lights on either side ever so i figured i'd cut the pink and black wire tape the ends then wrap them with all the other wires going to the dome light. I did not disconnect my battery as i didnt think this would be a big deal. As soon as a cut the drivers side black and pink wire at the same time with some dikes out went the dome light and now my gauge needles dont work. No odometer either. Jeep starts and runs. A/C works. Checked the number 9 fuse it was good. Replaced it anyway. Still no juice. Connected the pink and black wires back together with butt splices and still nothing working. I dont understand why jeep had to make things so difficult..lol

Assume that a fuse beside #9 is blown. Check them all, and also the fuses under the hood in the PDC. You probably need the ground wires connected.

Thanks for your reply it really saved my bacon. I never would have thought the PDC fuses would blow instead of the interior ones. Yesterday when this all started i went down the row of fuses that number 9 is on. Everything was fine. Decided to jump to doing my cut and fold rear quarters so i can install my rear JCR bumper tire carrier on Sunday. Ran out of daylight. So after your suggestion this morning. I checked the other row inside. Everything cool. Went to the PDC and low and behold the number F20 15amp mini is blown. New fuse,that fixed it. It's described as Combination Flasher on NAXJA. I dont get how it did what it did..lol Do you think if i had battery disconnected then cut wires there wouldnt be a problem? I've stripped my interior of trim and headliner as i want to cage it somewhat eventually. Surely someone on NAXJA has done something with those overhead wires while cageing. Any thoughts on that issue?

Cutting both wires at once caused a short circuit, and blew the fuse.

Back