• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch slave cylinder

85_XJ_406

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, I have an 85 cherokee,2.8, 4wd, manual, and I was wondering where the slave cylinder was. I tried looking underneath near the tranny but couldnt find it. Im trying to see if there is an apparent leak on it. I have trouble shifting into gear unless I pump the clutch pedal. I can see that the master cylinder is leaking, but I want to make sure the slave cylinder isnt also leaking

They went both ways. If it's not on the pass side of the bell housing, it's inside between the pressure plate and bell housing.

I have found that releasing issues, unless directly contributing to a bad master/slave are actual clutch wear issues.
Needing a replacement clutch on. '85 would not be unusual.

Ron

Last edited:
internal.

if you're splitting it just buy a clutch kit that includes a slave. no sense in taking it apart and not having all the parts on hand. Last I checked an ax-15 clutch kit was about 180 bucks.

I think the 85 is still an ax5 (if it makes a difference)

It is an AX5, if it is internal how hard is it to install a new clutch? I got a good steal for the jeep though, I paid $350 and the 4 wheel drive works. Overall a pretty nice fixer upper.

I think the 85 is still an ax5 (if it makes a difference)
I believe it's all the same, slave might be different. I just tossed that out there as a ballpark for pricing.

It is an AX5, if it is internal how hard is it to install a new clutch? I got a good steal for the jeep though, I paid $350 and the 4 wheel drive works. Overall a pretty nice fixer upper.

I'm not 100% positive on what came behind 2.8s, but if it's an internal slave you're pulling the trans out. I hate doing work twice, so I'd probably just do the clutch then.
if you have access to a lift that will be way nicer than doing it in your driveway, but it's a weekend job in the driveway. You don't ned too many specialty tools. A new clutch kit should come with the alignment tool. Not sure if they were using the e-12 external torx bolts on the early v6 jeeps, but it wouldn't hurt to have an external torx set handy. They're the top two on the bellhousing. You'll need some extensions and some wobble joints too.

How comfortable are you with transmission removal. It's not impossible to do in the driveway over a weekend. The big thing is getting the flywheel machined. (A really good Idea) That has to be farmed out to a machine shop. Oh and the trans/xfer crossmember bolts have a tendency to break.

If its an external slave, there is so much less drama. It takes like 15 min. realtime to install a new one (Not including bleed). The master on the other hand is much more time consuming. IIRC they are bolts, not studs, so you'll probably need a second set of hands.

A word of advice, change the master at the same time.

Buster has the E-12 torx bolts so I'm recommending you get a set if not just the one socket.

Im pretty sure I could do it I just dont have the money at the moment, my master cylinder started visibly leaking though so I ordered that, hopefully thats all it was. I will replace the slave ASAP and if its internal I might as well replace the clutch as well. But I was replacing a few small things and went to change the thermostat and both the bolt heads broke off. Luckily my roomate has been driving me to work, and that my manager lives a couple blocks away to get home.

Back