• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Bond Harmonic Balancer

HappyDog

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced the harmonic balancer on my 1997 XJ today.

I had previously scoured NAXJA and other sites to determine which replacement balancer to buy. Several people had trouble with the Dorman, but those that used the Power Bond seemed to have no problems.

So I bought a Power Bond from my local O'Reilly's -- I wanted to be able to easily take it back if there were a problem.

After I removed the original I compared it to the Power Bond (which was made in Australia). The dimensions seemed to be the same or pretty close. I put both of them on a flat table with the nose up. Because the rubber was sticking out of the original balancer I couldn't really line them up, but when I placed a straight edge on the flange of the original and looked at how much higher it was than the Power Bond, then did the same at the hub, the height difference of the hub seemed very close to the height difference of the flange.

The ID for the crankshaft was within 0.003" -- I made multiple measurements with a vernier caliper and the PB seemed to be consistently slightly smaller no matter where I measured.

The only significant difference I noticed is the weight -- it felt enough different that it prompted me to weigh them. The PB was 7 lbs while the original was 8 lbs. Unfortunately the only scale I have that can measure something of that weight has a full-scale range of 50 lbs, so the resolution was about 1/4 lb. Which is to say that the nominal 8 lbs could be anything from 7 lbs 14 oz to 8 lbs 2 oz.

I was able to press the PB on without issue.

But the weight difference concerns me.

And so does the elastomer -- the original looks like a sheet of rubber while the PB looks like they just gunned in some RTV. I have no idea of whether the PB is "tuned" properly, so I don't think I'll want to redline that engine -- not that I ever do anyway.

FYI, the reputable engine builder I just used said he likes Power Bond HBs. Remarked about some of the other cheap brands out there. I've read about the Dorman issues and avoided Dorman for that reason. Power bonds are available at O'Reilly's too so you can get them same day and pick up the loaner tools in one fell swoop.

I was the same way when I replaced the one on my 87. It was the first time I had replaced one, plus with all the brand name s outsourcing, who knows what you will get. It makes you worry some.

Good to know Power Bond is a good brand, and not made in a slave labor country!

Back