• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Increasing lift from 3" to 4.5"

amorth

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking at bumping my lift up from 3" to 4.5". I've searched around and found some information and I think I have a pretty good idea on what I need to do it but I need some advice/recommendations.

I REALLY like the 4.5" LA kit from Serious Offroad - it has everything I think one could possibly need to be at 4.5” and in all likelihood will end up going in that direction somehow. Here's where I need the help:

- I’m thinking I could recycle some of the things I have now (leaf springs, shackles, brake lines, track bar, disconnects) and piece together what I would need to essentially come up with that kit. Is that a correct?
- The only other mods I would have to do (with that kit or mimicking it) would be to re-gear and fender trim for bigger tires (31’s now but 33s are my goal eventually).

Here's my current setup:
- 2000, AW4, NP231
- 3" suspension lift from Iron Rock Offroad with upgraded 3.5" leaf springs
- 1” t-case drop
- 1" boomerang shackles from Zone Offroad
- Rusty's fixed LCAs (stock UCAs)
- Teraflex (I believe) adjustable track bar
- ZJ tie rod upgrade
- JKS quicker disconnects
- GMC 1500 front brake line upgrade
- Dodge Dakota rear brake line upgrade

I have a total of 5 trails on this setup (Kingston Peak, Middle St. Vrain, Red Cone, Twin Cone, Geneva Creek – nothing serious. I think Traildamage has a listing of 5 or 6 on the hardest one) so it’s almost like new – almost. ;) BTW these are the types of trails that I like to run, I’m not in to rock crawling.

I'd like to keep this upgrade as cheap as possible but I don't mind dropping the coin on that kit if that’s how I should do it.

Thanks in advance everyone! :laugh3:

You won't be able to sell your current setup for much, certainly not as much as Serious is charging for replacement parts. I'd piece it together.
Consider drop brackets as a lower buck alternative to long arms.
Consider, too, that if you go long arms or drop brackets your suspension's droop will likely be limited by your steering. Your 33" tires are also going to limit your braking, though depending on pads this might not be a big deal.

From your current setup, you really could just add drop brackets and replace your coil springs or add 1.5" spacer, then put in a SYE, maybe add shackle relocators. Should get you right around 4.5" and be a heckuva lot cheaper than a whole new suspension + supporting mods, many of which you already own. My math puts you around $650 (100 for springs, 200 for SYE, 150 for shackle boxes and 200 for drop brackets) for a comfortable / quality 4.5" lift.

What is your budget, and ultimate goals for the Jeep ?

1996-2001 are more likely to need an SYE at about 3-4' of lift than 1995 and older. Plan for an SYE.

You won't go wrong with the Serious Offroad kit!! I have seen his stuff first had and it is quality built and worth the money. :cool:

Last edited:
Oh boy - well I guess I didn't research enough. What exactly would drop brackets do? I know they are for the lower control arms but would I need different (longer) LCAs? Would that be an equivalent to a short arm kit? And the shackle relocators, would those be used WITH the boomerangs I have now?

My goal is to just have a trail Jeep that I know can handle a little more than what it can do now. I'll never really test its limits but I want to know that if I ever run into an obstacle, that my Jeep can take it. And, I admit it, I get lift envy when I'm with my group. ;)

As for my budget, the kit at Serious Offroad would be about it for now. The cheaper I could keep it the more I can put into the Jeep in other places.

I took this exact step with my Jeep only a few months ago. Identical 3"lift setup and identical goals for 4.5" lift. I ended up going the long arm route with Clayton because I still had stock control arms (uppers and lowers) so I had to spend the money anyway. I don't want to stir up the long arms vs. drop brackets debate but they accomplish similar things at different price points. Something to look into if you're on a budget and already have good control arms. To answer your two questions:
1. You can reuse your current control arms with the brackets. The drop brackets make a similar setup to long arms because it makes the control arm angles flatter at higher lift heights which increase the quality of the ride and the articulation.
2. Yes you can use your boomerang shackles with the relocation brackets. I use JKS boomerangs with mine and they work great.

to go from 3-4.5 you"ll need the following..
double shear track bar system..
4.5 front coils
brainlines(possible, if you can't relocate them)
drop brackets or for better ride a longarm system of choice.
and sye with front driveshaft or custom

As for my budget, the kit at Serious Offroad would be about it for now. The cheaper I could keep it the more I can put into the Jeep in other places.

You will regret going cheap on your lift!! If you have to save for a little while do it, you will regret cheaping out later down the road.

You will regret going cheap on your lift!! If you have to save for a little while do it, you will regret cheaping out later down the road.

I couldn't agree with you more. If you don't have the time (or money) to do it right the first time, you must have the time (or money) to do it again. :laugh3:

I would like the kit from Serious, but it I can piece that kit together with the pieces I have now, well, even better! So with that, I'm thinking I need this (with what I learned here):
Drop brackets
UCAs
Shackle relocators (to use WITH my current boomerangs)
Springs
SYE
Longer shocks
CV driveshaft
Upgraded track bar (even though I already have an adjustable one?)
Longer brake lines (even though I already have upgraded/extended brake lines?)
Shims
Track bar brace AND bracket

Forgive me guys, I'm not questioning you, I'm just wanting to make sure I have all my ducks in a row and can tackle the whole project at once without having to purchase additional stuff and delay the whole thing.

Thank you all for your responses. It is greatly appreciated!

I couldn't agree with you more. If you don't have the time (or money) to do it right the first time, you must have the time (or money) to do it again. :laugh3:

I would like the kit from Serious, but it I can piece that kit together with the pieces I have now, well, even better! So with that, I'm thinking I need this (with what I learned here):
Drop brackets
UCAs
Shackle relocators (to use WITH my current boomerangs)
Springs
SYE
Longer shocks
CV driveshaft
Upgraded track bar (even though I already have an adjustable one?)
Longer brake lines (even though I already have upgraded/extended brake lines?)
Shims
Track bar brace AND bracket

Forgive me guys, I'm not questioning you, I'm just wanting to make sure I have all my ducks in a row and can tackle the whole project at once without having to purchase additional stuff and delay the whole thing.

Thank you all for your responses. It is greatly appreciated!

LOL... uh huh, there is no such thing as having all your ducks in a row ....so to speak..... you will always find that you forgot, need or lost something!

Don't wast your time with drop anything, you won't be happy! Use what you have now and save for a good long arm, shackle relocators, SYE + CV Shaft for starters. Then dial it in with shocks+bumpstops. Oh, that Teraflex tracbar should be just fine.

There is nothing "wrong" with drop brackets, they fit and function very well. I have been to Moab several times and run many of the more difficult trails with no issues on short arms and drop brackets. Yes, long arms are considered by most "better" than short arms and drop brackets, but they cost significantly more.

Drop brackets and adjustable short arms can often be purchased used from people upgrading to long arms. Over time, I bought my entire RE 5.5" lift from people upgrading.

Hell's Gate, Moab 2013
large.jpg

Last edited:
There is nothing "wrong" with drop brackets, they fit and function very well. I have been to Moab several times and run many of the more difficult trails with no issues on short arms and drop brackets. Yes, long arms are considered by most "better" than short arms and drop brackets, but they cost significantly more.

Drop brackets and adjustable short arms can often be purchased used from people upgrading to long arms. Over time, I bought my entire RE 5.5" lift from people upgrading.

I knew this was coming.......... I have a short arm setup and it works just fine....... yeah yeah yeah the story is an old one. Bottom line is you get what you pay for! Yes a short arm works BUT a long arm just works and rides better! Your money, your junk, get what you want and can afford! :cool:

Did you go LA because of the ride quality or was there another reason?

I went long arm because a local shop was making a kit and used mine as a test bed. Got a $1200 kit (just arms and crossmember) for materiel cost.
Is it worth double the price of a drop arm kit? Mehhh.. Off road the front end swings like a mofo. Cant be beat. This is my daily driver and lots of highway and long arm is not bad.. I have also done extensive mods to front axle and most issues are with steering and spring binding as a result of that vs the long arm..

To each his own..

I went long arm because a local shop was making a kit and used mine as a test bed. Got a $1200 kit (just arms and crossmember) for materiel cost.
Is it worth double the price of a drop arm kit? Mehhh.. Off road the front end swings like a mofo. Cant be beat. This is my daily driver and lots of highway and long arm is not bad.. I have also done extensive mods to front axle and most issues are with steering and spring binding as a result of that vs the long arm..

To each his own..

I had a RE adj short arm before I upgraded to a BDS long arm and the long arm flexes way better and rides much smoother!!

Do either of these methods (long arms or short arms with drop brackets) require any welding? I don't have the knowledge or tools necessary to do that so that will play a part in direction I go.

I forget to mention that I have custom built frame stiffeners. Is that going to affect my decision? Googling these two methods I didn't see any stiffeners installed, but I would image that it will affect where/how things are bolted on.

Show pics of stiffie errr.... wait.... no.... the frame reinforcement ;) The RE kit all mounts to inside the framerails in the stock arm sockets and the supports are on the perpendicular surface to the rails just in front of the trans case crossmember.

Long arm there are many ways to mount them. Some may not be wide enough accross frame rails with the extra width the frame reinforce added.

Post pics

I knew this was coming..........

Should I have ended my posting with YMMV ?

Good condition used Drop Brackets fit my budget. Had the lift budget been greater, I would have long arms.

It's not really a debate about which is "better", rather just advising that a cheaper and functional option is available that one should explore, and then decide if one can abide by the known short arm drawbacks.

It's not really a debate about which is "better", rather just advising that a cheaper and functional option is available that one should explore, and then decide if one can abide by the known short arm drawbacks.

I agree with this statement. ^

I appreciate all the input that I've received in this thread!! How about welding though? Do short arms (with/without drop) brackets or long arms require any welding?

I'll post up some pictures later tonight showing the frame stiffeners I have and what kind of trouble that may pose.

Thanks again everyone!!

Back