• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good day gents, looking for a little help here with transfer case swapping

whiskies

NAXJA Forum User
:confused1 Good day gents, looking for a little help here. I have a 94 Cherokee XJ with a 242J behind a AW-4 automatic and on the TC tag reads
242J
5209 8046
5 19 94 2

I also have a 231J from a 98 wrangler with a tag that reads
231J
5209 9212
1 14 98 3

Are they interchangeable? I have a spare front xj driveshaft and it fits both outputs, although the cases do appear to be a little different, the 231 is from a wrangler with fixed outputs front and rear, as well as having one sensor in the front case half and another sensor on the back case half. the 242J has them both together on the back half. The shift linkage looks to be the same.
The 231J has 23 spline input, not sure about the 242J as it is my daily driver and am trying to find the time to split it, Any help would be muchly appreciated as there is so much info on the net i get it buggered up trying to get it straight

The things you need to be aware of are the input spline count and length and the speedometer type.

There is a chance that the drive shafts will not mate up as well. There is a company out there that lists the specs on most cases. IIRC it was JB Conversions. If that is not right, maybe someone can chime in on a link.

old man

Thanks; I was really hoping I wouldn't have to remove the TC to count the splines, I will check out the link, not sure if I seen that one yet
Dave

Last edited:
Back