• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveshaft after soa question

831_xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a longbed 88 4.0 aw4 with a 44 rear mj.
About to do a soa in the rear and 5.5" re short arms with cad brackets for the front.

For those who have done a soa did you have to lengthen or shorten the drive shaft?

I would plan on having to lengthen it. Do you have a slip yoke or SYE?

When I went SOA a few years ago on my SWB with SYE, I had to get my driveshaft lengthened. I just went back to SUA, and surprise, I had to get it shortened.

The one I did was a SOA and 4.5" coil in front. We didn't do anything with the DS. Angles were not an issue due to the long wheelbase and there was enough slip yoke engagement that the length wasn't an issue, but YMMV.

-Ron

@ 4" of lift I added 2" to my LWB driveshaft when I had to have it retubed.

It worked fine stock, but I had to have it done anyhow since it was mangled.
plan on getting a heavier duty shaft made. You will drag a LWB shaft across the rocks and the stock tube doesn't do impact.

Pat, you going to rock a square driveshaft like the Yota guys? Haha

87manche;246120431It worked fine stock said:
x2

I re-tubed mine with some heavy wall stuff after I turned the stock one into a twizzler, twice. I don't remember if it is any longer than stock.

and the heavy duty one still got bent at the crawl.

if I was really going to do it again with a LWB chassis I'd consider a two piece and thhe hassle of a carrier bearing to keep it out of the rocks. One big ledge and the rear shaft is wasted.

and the heavy duty one still got bent at the crawl.

if I was really going to do it again with a LWB chassis I'd consider a two piece and thhe hassle of a carrier bearing to keep it out of the rocks. One big ledge and the rear shaft is wasted.

Middle rock garden did it... Sharp tall rocks and ledges. In its defense i had the whole ass of the truck sitting on it.

When all the drivetrain goes into the chassis im going to get a significant piece of the wheelbase from pushing the front. Then i can bring the rear in and shorten the ds length so its not out there as far

Middle rock garden did it... Sharp tall rocks and ledges. In its defense i had the whole ass of the truck sitting on it.

When all the drivetrain goes into the chassis im going to get a significant piece of the wheelbase from pushing the front. Then i can bring the rear in and shorten the ds length so its not out there as far

I was surprised that it bent the shaft and didn't break the t-case output.

I think if it had been an external output case it probably would have broken off the tail housing because of the extra leverage.

anyway, if I were to wheel a longbed again I'd make sure I had a spare shaft or three at the campground.

Had to replace mine after attempting a ledge in a local park.. I plan to do what my buddy did with his Ramcharger....once I relocate the gas tank. He ran a couple pieces of tubing between the framerails then He bent up a piece of tubing that dropped down just below the shaft at ride height. it ran up then turned up into the other piece of pipe. This way the weight of the truck will rest on the pipe instead of the shaft.

seeing as you're going SOA, and MJ packs aren't exactly stiff, I'd build a traction bar that hung down 2" below the shaft for it's entire length.

kill two birds as they say.
You WILL wrap the pack.

That's not a bad Idea.... then you could run a stock shaft and not worry so much about axle wrap and pulling your yoke out of your transfer case. Happened to me on Killin Time in Harlan when I backed down on a rock and rolled the pinion up in the air.

Back