• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP!!! Need help asap please Hack n tap problem, not a normal problem

Demonoid369

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So I got a spare output shaft from a fellow naxja guy as I wanted to do a hack n tap on my 97' but didn't have the time to do mine so I did the cutting and tapping on the spare output so I could just do a quick swap. I'm in the process of it right now and the spare is different from mine in my transfer case, my buddy just txt and said that the shaft is from a 92' 231. Now I know those had tail cones that held the fluid instead of the 97'+ with no tail cone, my problem is how can I fix this quickly and get it all put back together because the seal I have doesn't fit over tightly enough to seal the oil in. First pic is my 97' shaft still in the transfercase
zesa7a6a.jpg

Bottom pic is the 92' shaft
atapaze7.jpg

Here you can see it fits but doesn't have the extended smooth surface like mine does for the 2 C clips that hold the shaft in but only 1 C clip
yta2u7a4.jpg

This is the 18108 napa seal that my 97' needs to seal the cone on my transfer case, as you can see it doesn't seal it.
3y4uqu3e.jpg

Is there another seal that will fit inside that will come and seal this?
Part number? I need to fix this today

Last edited:
you put your stock shaft back in and put it back together if you need to drive it to work tomorrow.

then you either plan on doing the HNT under the jeep, or you find another correct shaft.

They do not interchange. See how your orginal shaft has the extended seal surface area? It's three times longer than the 92 shaft because they simply moved it farther down the shaft on the output housing.

I suppose the other option would be to put an early output housing on it. Would shorten the whole thing up a touch. You'd need the older yoke as well, because the yoke itself was machined for that seal.

Well shi* that ruins my plans a lot. So there is no seal that will fit in that cone housing that'll seal it? And if I got a early model cone housing, what seals would I need to make this work? I have a iro hack n tap yoke that I've got cut down to fit that works so yoke isn't a problem.

I have a early model off my 88 that I just took.off after doing my sye.... but I'm quite a ways from you

Well shi* that ruins my plans a lot. So there is no seal that will fit in that cone housing that'll seal it? And if I got a early model cone housing, what seals would I need to make this work? I have a iro hack n tap yoke that I've got cut down to fit that works so yoke isn't a problem.

if you swapped to the early model housing you'd just use the stock seal.

even if you got a seal to fit your lat model tail housing it wouldn't last, because that part of your shaft isn't machined for a seal. It would just get torn up in a short time and leak.

The time that you have taken you could have done a half a dozen or more HAT.
I did mine under the jeep in less than an hour and a half. There are many write-ups on this and it is not that hard to do. Just take you time when tapping the shaft.

I say put it back together and do the HAT under the Jeep.

The time that you have taken you could have done a half a dozen or more HAT.
I did mine under the jeep in less than an hour and a half. There are many write-ups on this and it is not that hard to do. Just take you time when tapping the shaft.

I say put it back together and do the HAT under the Jeep.

I know it's not hard to do, I just don't have the time. Weekdays I work late and most weekends I'm doing catering so for me it WAS easier to just do one weekend to cut the shaft and yoke to length, the the next weekend to tap it and this weekend I was gonna install it. I literally only get maybe 45 min to work on my jeep, doesn't help that all my tools and such are at my parent house because I love in a apartment

Well this got complicated quickly. 45 minutes is all you really need. Put the thing back together and do it under the jeep. It is so much easier than trying to fix where you are at now.

in theory you could probably hack it one weekend and drive all week with the normal shaft still, then tap it the next weekend and drive on the normal shaft, then the third weekend switch it over. Only reason that wouldnt work would be if you are lifted so high that the driveshaft slips right off the shorter shaft even on the street or if you hack it so short that the driveshaft is wobbly/unsafe on the shorter spline length

For a 2 sense worth open your case replace your drive chain add a SYE + a JY front wheels drive shaft to t/ rear diff. Thinking of t/ long term benefits of this conversion maybe a better way to go. Me English okay?

Back