• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TPS or ??

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
1998 XJ 4.0, AW4.

About a year ago the Jeep started idling a little rough and hiccuping / momentary loss of power while going down the road. Intermittent enough I couldn't readily test things while they were happening. On a hunch, I replaced the TPS. I got it through work and don't recall for sure but think it was Four Seasons. I know it wasn't Mopar, anyway, and it was cheap.
Jeep was cured for a while but then damn-near-stalled from 2300 RPM or so and 70 mph on the freeway. CEL lit up immediately - code for TPS / MAP disagreement.
Again, I didn't test much - just replaced the TPS on warranty.
Jeep was, again, cured for a while.
At some point after this 2nd TPS replacement, I home-bored the throttle body and cleaned the IAC.
In the last few months, it has begun very intermittently idling at 2,000 RPM in neutral, 1100 or so in drive. I've shot everything in sight with brake cleaner while this is happening with no changes to anything. I'll shut it off and restart, sometimes it goes back to normal for a while and sometimes it doesn't. I think it has done this cold as well as hot.
Today I started it warm and it hit 2250 or so RPM and stayed there, lighting the CEL for a TPS Range / Performance issue. On the scanner, key on engine off, the throttle rests at 20.4%. I vaguely recall reading that anything above 18% was "bad".
So, with this history in mind - can we come up with any likely causes for this behavior other than "bad TPS (again)"? IAC comes to mind but then, replacing the TPS shouldn't have helped for even a day...
Followup question: Is Mopar the only way to go on a TPS, or are there other decent brands around?

Asked and answered. Multiple off-brand TPS have failed after a short and miserable lifespan.

Cheap parts are cheap for a reason.

Back