• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Patching small rust holes with duct tape and POR15?

SBpunk

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone heard about this? Hitting the surrounding area with POR15, letting it dry, covering the holes with duct tape then POR15 again?

I use sealant foam on the holes in my rocker panels after it cures I trim off any that pokes out of the rocker panel spray paint it black not the best way but it allows the jeep to pass state inspection.

Fiberglass is likely the better solution. Why use duct tape? Why not use some thin sheet metal?

I've done it on some small spots that aren't in any way structural. Clean off the loose stuff, smear it up with (I use Hamerit) whatever and either pop rivet it flat or clamp and spot weld some around the edges. Then smear over the whole thing, both sides, with POR or paint or whatever. The trick is to knock off as much loose stuff as possible with a wire wheel in a drill or something similar so you get a decent bond. Fiberglass needs a really clean base to bond, paint needs less of a clean base to bond, but needs a solid base.

As the tape breaks down, it's going to start holding moisture in. I'd suggest a different method.

As for using sealant foam, unless you're using expensive closed cell stuff, you're basically shooting a sponge into your panels. If you have a special foam gun for which you purchase cartridges, you probably have the right product. If you're using Great Stuff, you're accelerating your rust issues.

Has anyone heard about this? Hitting the surrounding area with POR15, letting it dry, covering the holes with duct tape then POR15 again?

POR15 is great stuff but it is only a temporary fix. It will block moisture and try to contain the rust but in a couple of years, the rust will return. I tried this on the door of my XJ and it looked good for about 2 years then it quickly eroded to be worse than before....

I'm replacing the entire passenger side with http://www.c2cfabrication.com/store/1984-96-cherokee-full-length-floor-pan-rh/

Unfortunately the cargo area is pretty jacked up. Passenger side has rust but no holes and was hoping to line the whole thing in bedliner (monstaliner). I just didnt want to have to replace a whole section that has surface rust but no rot. The cargo area is worse than I thought when I asked initially. I might end up doing the same as the passenger side.

Back