• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ motor swap question

jeepin-girl-45

NAXJA Forum User
Has anybody here ever done/thought about motor swaping an xj with the Jaguar AJ6 engine? If so what are your thoughts? Is it possible, would it be worth it?

Here are the hp/tq specs
Jaguar AJ6 221 hp 240 lb·ft (could not find there specs with rpm)
Jeep XJ 190 hp @ 4600 rpm 225 lb·ft @ 3000 rpm

Chrysler/Jeep dealerships and junkyards with good used Jeep parts are in every town, Jaguar, not so much.

I think you need to figure out why everyone swaps out Jaguar engines for the Chevy 350 ?

I'm guessing you have a Jag motor sitting somewhere, right?
If so... sell the jaguar engine & put it towards a stroker engine or a Chevy engine swap.
The jag = "meh" power improvements + lots of fabrication + lots of $$ in funky parts to make it work. Chevy LS swap... Big gains in power and reliability, cheap / easy parts to maintain it, off the shelf stuff available for everything you want to do.

There are a metric $hit tonne of Jags in the Pick a parts here in San Diego.. Most likely they all have engine problems. You can get better number with a stroker motor.

not sure why you would bother with an engine swap for such little gain. $/hp thats probably about as good as an electronic "supercharger"

It would be an interesting swap. While there are some aftermarket performance parts for the AJ6 engine they can be quite expensive.

I'd go with a late model V8. While the Jag swap would be interesting you would gain more from an LS engine and easier bolt in.

Chrysler/Jeep dealerships and junkyards with good used Jeep parts are in every town, Jaguar, not so much.

I think you need to figure out why everyone swaps out Jaguar engines for the Chevy 350 ?

Ding! This!!

The Jag engine will be few and far between. Yes, you may even have one available free- but what about spares, ECU, etc?

I am looking to do an engine swap, myself- it's going to be a Chevy smallblock. They're common, cheap, and can build big power relatively cheaply via aftermarket..

Re: Re: XJ motor swap question

pick the brain of the 5.3 jeeps thread on pirate4x4. Over 200 pages of solutions to different issues
No, I'm not looking for modern smallblock info (presumably the 5.3 is a N* or LS1 or some such, I'm not an expert on all things Chevy) and so does not apply. Also, I'm looking for actual information on a swap into an XJ, not info about swapping into any of varying degrees of things with a Jeep nameplate.

Also, I'm not looking for the shitty POR attitude.

All of which are reasons I came here

No, I'm not looking for modern smallblock info (presumably the 5.3 is a N* or LS1 or some such, I'm not an expert on all things Chevy) and so does not apply. Also, I'm looking for actual information on a swap into an XJ, not info about swapping into any of varying degrees of things with a Jeep nameplate.

Also, I'm not looking for the shitty POR attitude.

All of which are reasons I came here

I have personally read all 200 pages and am planning to turn the key on my own 5.3 swap when I throw the starter in tonight, with a swap done solely based on knowledge picked up from that thread and a couple random tips from the widely spread out and minimally shared information on here. If you want to do a smallblock swap, that is likely the best thread you can read. If you want to do a hokey swap and piece crap together and ask questions that have been asked and answered 100 times, its probably not the thread for you. You might have to ignore some of the tech discussion regarding electronics since it sounds like youre interested in a carb and distributor engine, but lots of the hard parts discussion would relate. Then again, I cant imagine why someone would want to swap a carbed engine into a wheeler so maybe im way off the reservation

If you don't ask questions, you won't know what pitfalls there are among many other things. Spread the knowledge. You or anyone else was not born with infinite knowledge. You had to ask many questions so you could wrap your head around it.

Some day I'll do the 5.3/6.0 swap but until then, I'll keep my small block and sense I don't have deep pockets, I made my swap kit. It is carbed and does fine.

that was in reference to burnt not you. Based on a quick look at the first couple pages of your thread the xj is mostly a street jeep so carb vs FI is not that important, though of course you're still missing out on performance and mileage. A 5.3/6.0 swap isn't very pricey if you DIY, all of the parts are pretty cheap and plentiful in junkyards

asking questions is fine, but if you have the opportunity to read and get your information from the documented experiences people have had but you choose to be lazy instead or just make the assumption that nobody elses similar experiences apply to you then you should expect to go it alone. I have done a complete 5.3 swap without asking a single question because every question I would have had was answered in that thread, the ls2 thread in adfab, or frankz thread in street performance. Asking questions that haven't been asked and answered 100 times is fine.

Last edited:

I have personally read all 200 pages and am planning to turn the key on my own 5.3 swap when I throw the starter in tonight, with a swap done solely based on knowledge picked up from that thread and a couple random tips from the widely spread out and minimally shared information on here. If you want to do a smallblock swap, that is likely the best thread you can read. If you want to do a hokey swap and piece crap together and ask questions that have been asked and answered 100 times, its probably not the thread for you. You might have to ignore some of the tech discussion regarding electronics since it sounds like youre interested in a carb and distributor engine, but lots of the hard parts discussion would relate. Then again, I cant imagine why someone would want to swap a carbed engine into a wheeler so maybe im way off the reservation

All fair points, and thank you for the insight.... :)

No, I'm going EFI, either with a GM 1227747 ECU or a Megasquirt system. In one hand I have the spare ECU on hand. On the other, I am disinclined to spend $400 on a GM harness, or spend a day ripping it from a junkyard. I really like the total DIY aspect of the Megasquirt system, but I haven't looked into the kit assembly to see if it's SMD or through-hole architecture. I can handle either, I've had a soldering iron in my hand since I was 9.

Personally, I hate carbs. I have better things to do than fiddle with jetting or suffer subpar performance from the engine.

Also (and this is where you guys are really gonna give me hell!), this isn't a trail rig. It's built more for daily driving, with the ability to drive to, through, and from the trail. While it's never going to see Fordyce or any of those legendary trails, it's a pretty good build for a Shadetree Howler Monkey - Clayton LA, Dana 44s, custom frame reinforcement and so on. So yes, it's somewhere North of 'Mall Crawler', yet decidedly East of 'Hardcore Wheeler'.

that was in reference to burnt not you. Based on a quick look at the first couple pages of your thread the xj is mostly a street jeep so carb vs FI is not that important, though of course you're still missing out on performance and mileage. A 5.3/6.0 swap isn't very pricey if you DIY, all of the parts are pretty cheap and plentiful in junkyards

asking questions is fine, but if you have the opportunity to read and get your information from the documented experiences people have had but you choose to be lazy instead or just make the assumption that nobody elses similar experiences apply to you then you should expect to go it alone. I have done a complete 5.3 swap without asking a single question because every question I would have had was answered in that thread, the ls2 thread in adfab, or frankz thread in street performance. Asking questions that haven't been asked and answered 100 times is fine.

Again, completely agree. I did research aplenty when I did the SAS to my S10 Blazer. As in, 10 years of reading, asking questions, and developing skills (like welding) and procuring tools. I have so many tools now it's a little ridiculous, and know how to use all of them (except the TIG, which I haven't gotten around to setting up yet. My career has been keeping me busy with continuing development on its own accord).

So of course now you're wondering why I objected to going to the 5.3 thread. Is it not a much more modern engine, having no parts compatability with the old Gen1 smallblock Chevy? In that case I'm really not sure what that thread can hold for me. My questions are more about what motor mount to use, what manifold (I hate headers) and radiator to use, than how to plumb and wire the EFI. It goes without saying you can't use the Jeep EFI system with a smallblock (nor would you want to, as the 1227747, 820, and a few other GM ECUs have been reverse-engineered and you can download and burn your own BIN files at home quite easily).

Now the cooling question ought to be answered in that thread, as most like-displacement and output engines are going to need to shed the same amount of BTUs. The answer to that is surely in the POR thread. But 200 pages? Think I'll have to grep it for 'radiator', 'coolant' 'cooling' and the like. I have enough darn reading to do thanks to CISCO! ;)

Back