• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0L Prelube After Assembly

oldbill

NAXJA Forum User
What do you use to prelube your newly assembled engine with a camshaft position sensor drive for the oil pump? Do you use a special tool or do you just modify one of your existing tools?
Thanks,
Bill

You can buy a priming tool that fits on the end of a drill, or make one out of a old 4.0 distributor and shaft and do the same thing.

I took a piece of steel round stock and hammered one end into the rough shape of a screwdriver end. I imagine you could use allthread also. 3/8" diameter seemed a little small (but it may work) I used 1/2"X about 12 long works. It doesn't have to be a tight fit, it just has to catch enough of the slot to turn the pump.

Heck a piece of copper tubing may work and would be a lot easier to hammer flat or use a vice and clamp it flat. It just has to be small enough to fit in your drill and big enough (when flattened) not to slip out of or spin in oil pump slot.

Back