• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust Pipe Flange/Ring (2001 cat assembly)

Root Moose

NAXJA Forum User
What is the correct Federal Mogul part number for the exhaust pipe gaskets between the exhaust manifold and the dual cat converter assembly?

Federal Mogul 60836 is not the correct part (too large).

Other vendor is fine - I just need something that works!

Thx!

You picked a real winner there, the parts lists are all over the place, even the OEM parts list.

Lets make sure I'm looking for the right part, three bolt hole flange gasket or four bolt hole flange gasket?

I cross referenced Felpro and Morris 4X4 center and Morris 4X4 says the gasket you have is for a TJ. The OEM parts list says it is for an XJ, but shows a really crappy picture with no actual item number displayed, just the name "gasket" and a 4616707 number which leads me right where you ended up, with a 60836. Crown doesn't even list any that I found.

If it is a four bolt hole gasket it is likely a 60292 (best guess).

In a pinch you can smear the flat mating surface with ceramic muffler repair gunk (paste) and bolt it together. It actually works well.

Just for info, if it is a three bolt hole flange gasket, header collector flange gaskets come in sizes (various diameters) and you may find a match or one close enough.

Or find some industrial grade aluminum foil, stack some layers and cut your own. Or something I've used successfully in the past is copper foil. It comes in various thicknesses at most hobby shops and works well. You are better off with multiple thin layers than one thick layer. I get it thin enough to cut with a carpet knife but thick enough not to be a total pain, stack four layers and punch the holes with a gasket hole punch kit I have (fairly inexpensive), Sometimes you have to do what you have to do, when the parts aren't available.

Am I on the right track or are we talking about an exhaust doughnut?

Last edited:
Ha! Yeah, really all over the place on this part. In fact, even the choice of parts you described don't match.

So, I am looking for the gasket/donut that goes between the exhaust manifold and the top of the dual catalytic converter assembly. There are two of these on the 2001 Jeeps, the flange itself is two bolt but it is a "donut" style gasket with no bolt holes in the gasket itself - it's just a compression ring.

Does that make sense the way I've typed it? I can put an image online if required.

I also need the three bolt gaskets for the other end of the cat assembly and the other end of the S pipe that connects to the under floor catalytic converter.

I actually bought a bunch of tube and flanges to make a new S-pipe and user floor cat assembly but then I got burned but the output of the dual cat assembly not being a "standard" 120 degree, three bolt pattern so now I'm scrambling to to try get this bolted together with OEM style parts before I run out of time before our road trip. <sigh />

Thanks for any help you can provide with the part numbers. It is much appreciated.

I'm pretty sure the three bolt hole flat gasket you are looking for is a Walker part number 31625.

A lot of companies have really screwed this one up, starting with the Jeep OEM parts catalog (no listing), then Felpro (wrong listing) and it seemed to cascade from there. I've looked at half a dozen and they have either no listing or the wrong listing. The E catalogs almost universally suck.

A real head scratcher. Somebodies got to make one. Maybe the I.D. and O.D. of yours and whether it is, a double cone shape or flat on one side? I'll tell you a secret, not the first time I've been through something similar and I have a box full of doughnut gaskets, most every size and shape imaginable.

If all else fails go down to Home Depot and buy a length of fireproof rope gasket (in the wood burning stove section). We used to get it made of asbestos, but now they use fiberglass. Buy a small bottle of graphite and rub it into the rope, don't rub it in too hard, what you want is quantity, as much as possible. Cut the ends until they just fit at an angle so they overlap. Sounds primitive, but in all likelihood will work just fine. Real old school, instead of carrying around dozens (hundreds) of different gaskets we had a few different diameters of asbestos rope that fit everything.

Last edited:
Back