• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator, Radiator, Radiator!

doostica

NAXJA Forum User
96 Cherokee Sport... 4WD...Auto...4.0L

I see nothing, zero, zilch, nada, I have new hoses, I have flushed the system a week ago, new thermostat, new water pump, new fluid.

I smell radiator fluid, yet again I see nothing. I have oil dry on the pavement in my garage so I can see any drips, I have none, I can sit there for an hour after I've driven it, no drips. I can let it idle, no drips. Both fans work fine. Everything seems to be fine, yet my thermostat reads about 250+ and again, I can smell the radiator fluid. I can crawl up and under my jeep and run my finger along the base under the radiator and nothing, no leaks. no water, zilch...

Any clues as to what I can be missing here? Why can I smell the fluid, and have such a high temp after a short time (as short as tens mins of driving)

Any ideas would be helpful, Thanks!

-Jessica

Depending on just how fast the coolant is disappearing....

I had a '97 that was consuming coolant. What I did was to remove the spark plugs after running the engine rather hard. Steam escaped out of the number 2 cylinder. Replaced the head gasket and the issue was resolved.

But, that engine was conspicuously consuming coolant... The smell of hot coolant was everywhere.

Thanks for the input y'all.....

The culprit was a faulty fan relay, sometimes it worked (everytime I checked, the fan was working) apparently after a bit of driving it would stop working... anywho replaced it and no issues now.

Back