• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valve Noise!!

dustind2987

NAXJA Forum User
I have read a few places about this topic before and I havent really read anything usefull. I have two xj's one being a 93 and the other a 95, my 93 runs fine it has 270000 on it besides I just destroyed the rear end and the drive shaft, which is a different story. I just bought the 95 since the problems with the 93. The 95 I bought runs a little rough but has serious valve noise, I pulled the valve cover off and started it and I dont see anything radical going on, other than the noise seems to be coming from the back two cylinders. With the engine off the #5 intake seems to have a bunch of play and so does #6 intake, and I am talking about rocker arms and push rods. Also I know the head gasket was leaking and the jeep was ran low on oil as it was owned previously by an old neighbor which she wasnt good about checking the oil. Anyone input would be great! I am trying to figure out if I should pull the head and have it decked and new valve guides put in it or just buy a motor and do it that way. Everything I know about these 4.0's is that they are bullet proof. Thanks

Back