• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thinking about swapping out my ax15 in the future

AwesomeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was surfing the interwebs today and came upon an interesting article from JP. http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/154-0904-top-11-transmissions-and-cases/ That got me thinking about possibly swapping my ax15 out for a NVG3550.

It's still a 5pd though it's 1st gear would be unused on the road with its 4.01 ratio. But i figure if i gear my axles to 4.56 or 4.88 and put the nvg3550 tranny in, it'll be even better offroad. What are you thoughts?
vupyneme.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Re: Thinking about swapping out my ax15 in the future

I was surfing the interwebs today and came upon an interesting article from JP. That got me thinking about possibly swapping my ax15 out for a NVG3550.

It's still a 5pd though it's 1st gear would be unused on the road with its 4.01 ratio. But i figure if i gear my axles to 4.56 or 4.88 and put the nvg3550 tranny in, it'll be even better offroad. What are you thoughts?
vupyneme.jpg

the other idea is to put the muncie sm420 in there and make it a BEAST.
ava5upu9.jpg

Only it would make my jeep a 3spd. Not good!

Last edited:
I dont see how its worth it,3.83 to 4.01 isnt much and the two transmissions are arguably the same strength, IIRC the AX15 is actually rated higher by factory specs.
X2, not worth the effort.

The NP435 is a pretty common swap for a deeper manual tranny. They have a 6.68:1 first, and an 8.26:1 reverse. Pretty much useless for any sort of street driving, but they work well for trail use.

Just gear to 4.88, slap some 33's on, and wheel it. If you got a craving for the big rocks, start a piggy back for an Atlas.

Swap in an AW4 and forget about it.

Back