• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44/D60 combo R&P

twizt3dfuc

NAXJA Forum User
Alright looking for the guys with the axle set. I killed my d44 lp R&P over the weekend. Anyone else running this combo.
If my 44 front didn't have rcvs(one of a kind at that) I'd swap to a d60.
But what ratio do you run? mine is stock 4.09(4.10 for ease) just replace stock or jump to 5.13 or 5.38? I'm weary on more torque cause the 4.0 gives me enough low end already.
It's a 99 Xj with 4.0
Running 39.5s
Here's some beautiful carnage for ya'lls viewing pleasure
eqasa4ur.jpg

uva8uqez.jpg

I'd go deeper gears so you arent throttling so hard.

With 4.10's and 39.5's you're giving it way more throttle than you think you are.

Also, low pinion d44 and 40's, you need to expect this to keep happening.

4.10s is a stronger gear set then 5.13 or 5.38s. Really the problem is its a D44 with 39.5s. Even going easy on it the setup is a burning fuse.

From what I know about R&P, it will be a trade off between a nice thick ring gear at 4.10 or a nice torquy gear at 5.xx and a thinner ring gear. From a financial stand point, it makes sense to me to replace the ring gear with another 4.10 and trade those 39.5 for a good set of 37's or 38's. But if money is no option, regear to 5.13s and step down an inch on tire size.

my suggestion is made under the auspices that you don't go crazy with the skinny pedal all the time.

Another option is getting a nice D60 or currie 9 inch!

D44/D60 combo R&P

Jk 44 fronts are high pinion. Does that kit let you put a jk rear 44 low pinion gear set in a d44 front low pinion? The description isn't really clear on what jk44 gear set it's using? I would think it was for front hp. Might be wrong though.

Last edited:
Run the numbers for costs in all scenarios.
Consider doing all of the below if you plan to keep the 40s,maybe not all at once but over time:
deeper gears in the axles (5.13s) -jana k4 kits front and rear
load bolts front and rear
full carrier locker
set the gears tighter up front (only if you had a ton of BL before say go from 10 thousandths to 6 or 7)
truss ,
and smaller tires(37-38),
and a 4:1 or deeper in the tcase(more torque at the R&P and more control, its a trade off)

or a mix, like jana k4 kits with 4.10s and a 4:1 or something like that

even if you do all of that depending on what you wheel and who you wheel you could still break stuff, but at that point you will have a pretty stout LP44.

I've been considering the jana54 kit for my hp44 and to buy some RCVS for the thing but I could pretty much buy an entire second jeep for that cost...

At 39.5... get a 60. You probably could spend enough time / money on the LP44 to make it survive (probably? Maybe) but a cheapish 60 will do it and the 44 can be sold to somebody who won't try to murder it.

Well as I said I would definitely go 60 but I the 44 already has rcv shafts( and the nice people at rcv made them custom for the jeep, per (I think Bobby tanner's request, as payment for ricky b to do some photography work) that was actually one of the main reasons I traded my samurai buggy for it. It has more in axle shafts rcvs and yukons, than I originally paid for my sami. Lol
I don't know if I could sell the axle, or even what it'd be worth.

You could probably sell that 44 and have enough cash to buy a HP60 with 4.10's in it and toss some 35 spline stubs on and have cash leftover.

Re: Re: D44/D60 combo R&P

You could probably sell that 44 and have enough cash to buy a HP60 with 4.10's in it and toss some 35 spline stubs on and have cash leftover.
Any idea on what it would go for? I'm pretty much new to all of this stuff and I have no clue honestly.

Back