• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xj frame crack welding help ...!

adiga101

NAXJA Forum User
please I Need Help From some Expert welder ....
i have crack on my xj frame i need to know what steps should i do to fix it ???
what kind of weld ?? wire size ?? what sittings should i do to the welder machine?? anything can help please ???

There is a good shop just south of the border in Ukraine that I know of...

you're going to need to figure out the settings on the welder yourself. every welder is different. or take it to a shop

the steps for repairing the crack are:
sand the paint off around the crack
drill a 1/8" hole at each end of the crack
weld the crack
sand the weld smooth
you could also
put a peice of 1/8" or 3/16" plate over the crack area and rosette weld (plug weld) it to prevent more cracking

where is the crack?

you're going to need to figure out the settings on the welder yourself. every welder is different. or take it to a shop

the steps for repairing the crack are:
sand the paint off around the crack
drill a 1/8" hole at each end of the crack
weld the crack
sand the weld smooth
you could also
put a peice of 1/8" or 3/16" plate over the crack area and rosette weld (plug weld) it to prevent more cracking

where is the crack?

what kind of welding should i use ?? wire size ? sittings on ther welder ??

Last edited:
Yikes. thats a tough spot. Need to remove everything around the crack thats bolted in, so you can see the full crack. Do the steps he said above and add plating to strengthen that spot.

what kind of welding should i use ?? wire size ? sittings on ther welder ?? anyone know what cause this ? i don't go offroading but the only problem i have it in the past i was in the high way suddenly the steering wasn't response i stopped and check what happend i saw only one bolt hold the steering box is that cause it ??

Last edited:
Looks like someone already tried to weld it.

Yes, missing steering box bolts could put extra strain on the frame in that spot. Or the steering box bolts came loose because the frame was already cracked. Either way...

what kind of welding should i use ?? wire size ? sittings on ther welder ?? anyone know what cause this ? i don't go offroading but the only problem i have it in the past i was in the high way suddenly the steering wasn't response i stopped and check what happend i saw only one bolt hold the steering box is that cause it ??

You need to make sure all the bolts are tight; use thread locker and/or lock washers. Fix the weld area first. You need a good penetrating welder, probably over 150 amps. Wire size depends on a few things. I personally own a wire feed and stick welder. I would use my stick welder on you problem, because it's hotter and I am more comfortable with it.

Sounds like you need to take it to someone.

You need to make sure all the bolts are tight; use thread locker and/or lock washers. Fix the weld area first. You need a good penetrating welder, probably over 150 amps. Wire size depends on a few things. I personally own a wire feed and stick welder. I would use my stick welder on you problem, because it's hotter and I am more comfortable with it.

Best advice yet! Just looking at the two pictures, I wonder if you realize just how much damage is there...

take a cutoff wheel and cut into the crack slightly, so your weld has somewhere to go, and doesnt just 'sit on top' like the first<?> repair, then mig it with the appropriate settings.

It WILL crack again if you dont add a reinforcement plate.

Wire size and settings will be determined by the welder.

I use .o30 wire for almost everything

My welder is only 115v so I crank it up as high as it will go with a slow wire speed to get the most out of it

You need to grind that area down with a flap disc on an angle grinder until it is nice and smooth and flat.

XCMs suggestion is a good one

it's hard to find a good welder here in jordan but i will try to find someone :S

take a cutoff wheel and cut into the crack slightly, so your weld has somewhere to go, and doesnt just 'sit on top' like the first<?> repair, then mig it with the appropriate settings.

It WILL crack again if you dont add a reinforcement plate.

thanks i will try

Wire size and settings will be determined by the welder.

I use .o30 wire for almost everything

My welder is only 115v so I crank it up as high as it will go with a slow wire speed to get the most out of it

You need to grind that area down with a flap disc on an angle grinder until it is nice and smooth and flat.

XCMs suggestion is a good one

see the kit that i bought it what do you think ?? is it enough ?

The kit is a good one but I think you need some custom repair work on that if you want it to be reliable. It needs a doubler on the bottom and both sides of the frame in the area of the gearbox.

Back