• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Easy way to remove the upper two bellhousing bolts!!!

artguywes

NAXJA Forum User
Today I was fighting the two upper bolts on my bellhousing. After going and buying a two foot extension and some wobblers I spotted the Craftsman ratcheting box end wrench in my tool bag. I supported the motor, removed the two motor mount bolts and let it down to rest a few inches lower. The thin 3/8 twelve point of the box end not only fit the bolt, I was able to get it from the topside. 10 minutes and it was done. I've fought this battle several times, once even cutting through a junk block with a cutoff wheel to get em loose. The wrench I used was the flat laminated style held together with rivets. I hope this helps some fellow jeepers with the bolts we have nicknamed the G - d@mt bolts. Happy wrenching...:laugh3:

Go through the transmission hole with some extensions. That will give you the most direct shot

I use a approx 3ft long 3/8 socket to half inch adapter extension.
From the factory the top 2 bolts are E-torx. PITA, and worthless IMO. I replace them with correct size hex head bolts.

A note for installing the engine too. Use some longer bolts, cut the heads off, and radius the edges. Cut a slot in it for a flat head screwdriver and liberally coat with antiseize. Put the bolts back into the engine side. Then when you're dropping the engine back in you can locate the engine to the tranny by using those top two bolts. Use a c-clamp on each side of the Trans to pull the whole thing back together.

Back