• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best rear brake shoes

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
Its about time for new rear brakes on my 01 XJ. Are the NAPA Performer brake shoes fine or should I pay the extra $50 for their top of the line shoes?

Maybe my 98 XJ was an oddball, but I just battled MONTHS of rear brake issues after replacing my shoes with quality aftermarket shoes. When hot, the shoes would grab causing dangerous lockup. After replacing the drums and shoes the problems began and I chases my tail for a long time thinking I had a bad master cylinder or proportioning valve, even though the symptoms weren't perfect.

Long story short, I went to Jeep and ponied up for OEM shoes. Haven't had a bit of trouble since then. I'm sure not all aftermarket shoes are bad, but boy, they ruined my day for months.

My 01 XJ came from the factory with a setup I hadn't seen before, even a shop I took it to for something else hadn't seen it. The rear shoes may be 2-3" wide but there is a 1" gap in the middle with no friction material that matches the drums.

It sounds like you 98 was an oddball, glad you got it worked out.

I got the middle of the line Raybestos shoes when I did the rears on my 01. No problems in 5 years of driving.

I do recommend looking closely at the hardware when you do your brake job. Especially the toothed wheel on the adjuster, and the stop it rides against. These wear and don't function as well after they wear down. Most times you can reuse the springs and other hardware.

Also change the hydraulic cylinders while you are in there. Years ago I would hone it out and replace the rubber seals, but these days new ones are so cheap you might as well just install new.

It is also important to check the arc of the shoe against the inside of the drum. It should fit without rocking or gaps.

I got the middle of the line Raybestos shoes when I did the rears on my 01. No problems in 5 years of driving.

I do recommend looking closely at the hardware when you do your brake job. Especially the toothed wheel on the adjuster, and the stop it rides against. These wear and don't function as well after they wear down. Most times you can reuse the springs and other hardware.

Also change the hydraulic cylinders while you are in there. Years ago I would hone it out and replace the rubber seals, but these days new ones are so cheap you might as well just install new.

X2 Raybestos professional are around $22 on Amazon. All I've ever used. I use them a lot, no speed limits here, multiple stops from a hundred miles an hour aren't uncommon, they hold up fine.

If your wheel cylinders seep, the brakes are going to grab. Best to catch a leaky wheel cylinder early before the shoes get brake fluid soaked.

Last edited:
Back