• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil filter opinions

Renegade XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm partial to Wix filters, but recently I have been having check valve/oil drain back issues with them. This is not only on my XJ bit on my JK, and KK. The JK I switched to a Fram Tough Guard and the knocking/oil starvation at start up is gone, I can't remember what's in the Liberty since the wife took it to Walmart last oil change.... I would assume a Fram. I just changed the oil on my XJ and put a Wix filter in it and the oil starvation and knocking at start up is horrible!!! It reads 0 oil pressure for a good 5sec after start up. I was about to go buy an other Fram but wanted to hear what you guys run first.

I wouldn't put a Fram in my worst enemy's vehicle. I have seen 4 vehicles have major problems due to Fram. I have personally seen 2 engines burn up due to Fram failures.

Fram as a whole may be OK, but their track record with the XJ filter sucks.

I wouldn't put a Fram in my worst enemy's vehicle. I have seen 4 vehicles have major problems due to Fram. I have personally seen 2 engines burn up due to Fram failures.

Fram as a whole may be OK, but their track record with the XJ filter sucks.
fram is terrible all the way round.

I've had good luck with Mobil, Purolator and the KN filters.

Used to use the champion labs made STP, but the last one I put on the jeep had drainback issues, so no more of those.
I'm probably going to bulk order a bunch of fleet oil filters from rockauto. Seems all the parts store ones are starting to suck.

Yea I have heard about all the issues with Fram filters but it solved my issues on my JK after trying a Mopar filter and a Wix. Just verified that Walmart did put a Fram in our KK and it has no more start up knock (it knocked with Mopar filters and Wix too). I'm gonna go pick up a Mobil 1 filter see if it solves my issues, what about Napa filters? It's been a while since I used one of those but I don't remember my XJ ever knocking with a Napa filter...... Then again I think Napa filters are made by Wix also.....?

Napa Silver 31085. Made by Wix but with a nitrile combo valve that has given me the best starts on my Jeep so far. I also had dry starts occasionally with the regular Wix filters, but not this one. They are only $3.03 and very well constructed.

Here is one I cut open:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...386498/Napa_Silver_31085_cut_open#Post3386498

My next favorite filter would be the Motorcraft FL-400s. It is a bit skinnier than the stock filter, but has given me great starts as well. This filter runs $3.97 at WalMart.

Flame on: The fram ulta is the most cost effective high performance filter out there. I'm using Wix, but I've had a couple clattering starts. I currently have a Mobil 1 which I got on Amazon for $7.00. No start up issues. I've said this before, but www.bobistheoilguy is the site to go to for oil/filter etc info. Fram Ultra is well thought of. They do not like the $2.50 ocod(orange can of death).

My opinion of Fram filters has not changed. Been using them for as long as I can remember with Quaker State oil. I'm pretty anal about sticking to a 3000 mile oil/filter change and always do the work myself. The last three XJ's have all been high mileage (180k +) and my current 2001 XJ is pushing 240k. I have no reason to change brands. Oh, and I use Champion spark plugs too... That ought to bring on more flames!

Has anyone had a problem with the NAPA Gold filters that are Wix? I've been using Motorcraft FL1a's for a while but bought a couple of NAPA Golds and Platinums.

The NAPA Platinum looks very much like a Fleetguard LF3487 that costs considerably more in my area. I've had good results with the LF3487 in the past.

I just changed the oil on my XJ and put a Wix filter in it and the oil starvation and knocking at start up is horrible!!! It reads 0 oil pressure for a good 5sec after start up.

Try pre-filling the new oil filter before you install it to reduce the wait for oil pressure to build.
I pour about 1/2 quart in the a filter, not enough to run out when screwing it onto the adapter.
Purolator Pure 1 is my choice for filters.

I had to poke around to verify that you have a RENIX Jeep. I had the same problem with a NAPA Gold filter. Since it was my wife's transportation, I did not hear the clatter when it started in the morning. That cost me an engine, with verified oil filter drain-back.

I changed out the oil filter adapter to the later style. It is a pain in the arse to change the filter, but it always has oil in it, and I can buy the Oil Filter Adapter O-Ring Kit at most any auto parts.

Back