• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can someone identify this hex-head cap screw?

Nimrod

Degenerate Jeeper
NAXJA Member
More than a year ago I was doing some work on the front end of my Jeep and at the end of the day I had this extra bolt, or cap screw for those of you who want to be technical. I knew at the time where it went and being only semi-smart, I set it on the dashboard right in front of the steering wheel as a reminder to install it before driving anywhere. Alas, I was not smart enough to write down what it was for and I didn't anticipate that so much time would pass before I got back to work on the rig, and now I've forgotten. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the axle or a related suspension component, such as the track bar, tie rod, or sway bars.

The bolt's an inch and a quarter in length, not counting the head. One inch is threaded and a quarter inch at the tip is not, as you can see in the pictures. The threads are 7/16-14, and the head is 15 mm wide between the flats. In other words, a 15 mm wrench fits it. There are markings on the head that include a 9 or a 6 and a symbol I'm not familiar with. I think it shows up pretty well on the picture.

Does this look familiar to anyone?

I doubt it matters, but my Jeep's a '99 with a 4.0, auto trans, NP242 TC.

vezebyza.jpg

yzy2e2u8.jpg

u3ehazu9.jpg

Looks like a bolt that holds the cross member to the body/frame. I think the same size is used to hold on the front and rear bumpers.

The only thing I've taken apart in the front of my Jeep that was 15 mm was a sway bar bracket but I haven't touched the bumpers.

It's definitely not from the cross member or bumpers. I'll take a look at the sway bar brackets tomorrow and see if a bolt's missing. Thanks.

yeah i'd say front swaybar to frame, like under the steering box

i didnt get a picture, but that is identical to the swaybar bolts on johnny's MJ. i just wandered out in the dark and looked.

The belt tensioner/power steering bracket also uses that size bolt. There are three, two to water pump and one to block.

Have you noticed that all the threads are rusted. I bet it left where ever it was screwed into, some time ago.

All swaybar mounting bolts are in place. Same with skid. Checked belt tensioner, power steering pump, water pump, and all nearby components and all mounting bolts are accounted for. Also spent a long time gazing carefully at every part of the front end, but didn't spot any obvious place for it. Wasn't doing any work at the rear end at all. So I'm at a loss.

I do distinctly recall when I picked it up thinking that it is important that it be reinstalled. God I wish I had just screwed it in then and there, whatever it is. Or at least jotted down a note.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I'd welcome any additional ideas.

I threw caution to the wind and took the Jeep around the block without figuring out where the bolt belongs. Heard lots of clunking noises from the front end and now both front wheels are visibly out of camber. To be clear, what I mean is that when viewed from the front the wheels are much closer together at the bottom than at the top. They were slightly out of alignment before, but not like they are now.

I've got to think that whatever is going on probably has something to do with a 15 mm bolt that is not in its intended place. Any ideas based on this new development?

Help would really be appreciated!

The axle side track bar mount uses a bolt with a 15mm head, but you probably would have noticed if that was disconnected pretty quick on the drive and the factory bolt doesn't have a washer.

Looks like a sway bar mount bolt to me, but I know that doesn't help you.

I'm with Talyn on this one. I just put my front skid back on...that's the bolt. It's the very same bolt for the cross member. There's 5 of them on my skid. Even so, it's a bolt used many places around the Jeep. I have a can full of them...nothing's fallen off yet...off the Jeep anyway.

Back