• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heat shield options

Renegade XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So my XJ was on the verge of catching fire due to heat from the cat/muffler area. Next month I need to smog it and the cat it beat up from rocks so I went ahead and ordered up a new cat and muffler (flowmaster). My question is, what are you guys doing for heat shields? My XJ has none. I'm thinking of warping the exhaust piping, but what about the muffler and cat? Can I just wrap those up too?

I wrapped my cat and muffler in fiberglass cloth then wrapped an airbake cookie sheet over them both and secured with long hose clamps. Then I built a 1/4" skidplate for the cat. This has worked fairly well for me.

Go to a Pick and Pull and get a set from a ZJ or I think a late model XJ. Not sure about the XJ. I do have a set from a ZJ on my XJ for many years.

I mounted them above the muffler and cat with self tapping screws into the body.

Air bake cookie sheet

serious ? I am down for this. Just smashed the cat and muffler into the floor pretty bad and melted everything under the back seat and started smoking pretty bad.

serious ? I am down for this. Just smashed the cat and muffler into the floor pretty bad and melted everything under the back seat and started smoking pretty bad.
You're still going to have to pull the exhaust parts away from the floor. The exhaust will still heat the floor without space between them. Then the heat shield will be efective in dissipating heat from heating the floor.

Back