• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No start... 97 4.0, AX-15

whatever

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a 97 with a 4.0 and AX15. Not sure it makes a difference but it is 4wd, 231.

Issue: No start/ ignition. Vehicle will start and run with a push and clutch pop and runs as it should.

Kinda a two part question

I thought it may have been a bad starter and swapped that with a known good unit and no dice. So I was then thinking either ignition switch or nss. Going off my Haynes/ chiltons manual schematic(which is garbage by the way) I tested pin 85 of the starter relay with the relay in place. Pulled the PDC covers and put a DMM on pin 85 tested 12v, correct me if I'm wrong but that proves the ign switch and the nss are good? I tested both nss and ign switch and they tested good, but 12v at pin 85 (relay) just backs that up right?

Now at the starter I am not getting the switched 12v, I get the constant 12v in the large cable but nothing at the small wire. According to my schematic pin 85 goes straight to, or is rather, the same wire. Clearly this is not the case. So what component is in between pin 85 (relay)and the starter? Also what should be the input voltage and output voltage of said component?

Thank you in advance for any assistance. And if I have this shit all wrong feel free to put me on blast, no need to beat around the bush.

I've checked this wire and it is open while the ignition switch is closed. I realize this is where the problem is but those are clearly not the same wire on both ends, one is about a 18g black/green tracer (pin 85 side). The starter side is larger, 6g or so,and just dark green if my memory serves me correctly. Is there nothing between these two connections? Just a splice in there?

Just throwing this out, if you haven't already checked, is have you checked your clutch interlock switch? The interlock requires you to depress the clutch in order to start your Jeep.

You can by-pass the clutch interlock to test this theory...... I found a green connector with yellow wire just looped back to the same green connector. It was taped under the dash right next to the clutch interlock connector. To my surprise the factory included this bypass under the dash for you. You just unplug the green connector with the yellow wires and plug it into the other green connector, with the yellow wire looped back to itself. At least that's how it works on my '98 5 speed.....

Just throwing this out, if you haven't already checked, is have you checked your clutch interlock switch? The interlock requires you to depress the clutch in order to start your Jeep.

You can by-pass the clutch interlock to test this theory...... I found a green connector with yellow wire just looped back to the same green connector. It was taped under the dash right next to the clutch interlock connector. To my surprise the factory included this bypass under the dash for you. You just unplug the green connector with the yellow wires and plug it into the other green connector, with the yellow wire looped back to itself. At least that's how it works on my '98 5 speed.....

That would be the same thing as the nss, would it not, the switch affixed to the clutch master piston/clutch pedal? If so I have tested that on its own and I believe that is "upstream" of the starter relay which is getting a good 12v, meaning that switch is ok, no? Good info on the bypass though, I hate that I have to clutch to start the whip. Once I get this turd running I'll defiantly be bypassing that switch.

Last edited:
I would check for continuity at the clutch switch. Just continuity where there is any break in the wire loop. I am sure you will discover it that way.

Back