• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

vibration at pedal and noise

Vonguido

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys so about a week ago my XJ started to have a small vibration in the gas pedal when I would hit 65mph on the freeway, it wasn't constant it would come and go and only after I had been up to that speed after a min or so. I only go up to 70-75mph at the most and its still there not constant but comes and goes, when you slow down/let off the gas pedal it goes away. You can also hear the vibrating as well. Theres no death wobble at all.

2 weeks ago I changed the wheel hubs, 2 months ago I had the Currie currectlync steering installed at a shop and an alignment done along with new tires. They told me my RE track bar was shot and would need replaced at some point. Is this the track bar? All the searching I did turned up nothing except if the track bar was shot you would get death wobble.

It is starting to become more frequent when I go up to 70mph which I have been trying to avoid. The only thing I could think of other than that is my 2.5" exhaust hits my shackle slightly when I get on the gas but rarely does it but I haven't heard it in so long I can't tell if thats what I'm hearing when I get up to that speed because Im hearing it up front not in the rear like I used to. any help would be appreciated guys. got the next 2 days off work.

Video below, you can hear it a little bit towards the middle it is a lower tone sound in the video it comes and goes.

http://youtu.be/vagol_MbucI

98 XJ, 5" lift, AW4, 4.0, Currie Currectlync steering, RE Track bar, New wheel hubs, new tires

Ujoint in the front axle or in the from driveshaft? The ujoints in the rear driveshaft were replaced last fall and I haven't done any wheeling since they were replaced.

U-joint in the front axle or in the from driveshaft? The u-joints in the rear driveshaft were replaced last fall and I haven't done any wheeling since they were replaced.
The video doesn't provide much information
Remove the front driveshaft and check the u-joint and CV joint for looseness. Try driving it with the front driveshaft remove to see if there is a difference
Might also be a tire out of balance. You would feel that in the gas pedal.

The video doesn't provide much information
Remove the front driveshaft and check the u-joint and CV joint for looseness. Try driving it with the front driveshaft remove to see if there is a difference
Might also be a tire out of balance. You would feel that in the gas pedal.

Thanks I will check that.

The video was an attempt to catch the noise but with it being so loud down there to begin with it was a crap shoot.

Motor or Transmission mount?

How high a frequency is the vibration? Is it more of a buzz? If so, it is most likely motor related. Try switching on/off the AC, headlights, heater, etc and see if any of them make a difference.

Grab the water pump shaft and see if there is any slop. Look for any signs of fluid at the weep hole.

Motor or Transmission mount?

How high a frequency is the vibration? Is it more of a buzz? If so, it is most likely motor related. Try switching on/off the AC, headlights, heater, etc and see if any of them make a difference.

Grab the water pump shaft and see if there is any slop. Look for any signs of fluid at the weep hole.

Turning ac, headlights, heater doesn't make a difference its still there. The sound was there before I did my cooling system replacement. No leaks around the water pump or slop.
Its hard to describe the noise, its not high frequency its more of a lower tone. I'm getting the track bar replaced later this month so I'm hoping its just that.

If its engine or engine accessory related it will be present at the same RPM, but different road speed. Get up to the speed in D you have the vibration at. Note RPM. Reduce speed and shift to 3. Bring engine up to RPM noted earlier. If its engine related most likely the vibration will reappear at that RPM. You can try the same thing in 2 for a greater speed difference if you like.

Back