• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Comanche Help!

BmikesGirl

NAXJA Forum User
So, this is my first (wheeler) build.. and I have a 86 Comanche 2wd 5 speed that has the 2.5 right now and I need a new motor and transmisson. I have an offer for an 87 4.0 automatic and I'm not sure what all I would need to do the swap and if its worth it. Like the wiring harness, the cooling system, charging all that. I would like as much input anyone would like to give me :)

Thanks in advance,
Ashland :)

You'll need at least s d30 and transfer case. Bmikes is more than capable to install them. As far as trannies go its up to you. If you've got a 5pd keep it. It has its benefits over the auto.

You'll need at least s d30 and transfer case. Bmikes is more than capable to install them. As far as trannies go its up to you. If you've got a 5pd keep it. It has its benefits over the auto.

Would want to upgrade the trans tho. 86 is only going to have an ax4 or 5. I will agree, most likely still better than the pukegoat. But Ax-15 or NV3500 would be better.

I still say a 3.4 or 3.8 liter would be the way to go. its a bolt in affair with a little wiring. throw some custom gages at it. there should be plenty of trans/t-case options for it. still get great mpg, HUGE HP gain, FI motors are always better on the trail, and you would have some "cool factor" under the hood ;)

Bronze's .02

I believe the 84-86 models have a different firewall (since the 4.0L was never an option), making a 4.0L swap a bit tougher than the later years (87+). Some cutting and reshaping of the factory firewall may be in order.

I'd say your best bet would be to find a parts rig for a donor. Wiring harness, computer, trans, radiator, etc. Lot of work, but could be a fun project truck.

Welcome to the forum. ;)

I believe the 84-86 models have a different firewall (since the 4.0L was never an option), making a 4.0L swap a bit tougher than the later years (87+). Some cutting and reshaping of the factory firewall may be in order.

I'd say your best bet would be to find a parts rig for a donor. Wiring harness, computer, trans, radiator, etc. Lot of work, but could be a fun project truck.

Welcome to the forum. ;)
Correct, its only one section and its not very big.. you can bash it in with a couple hits of a hammer, Or cut and weld that section from an 87+

looks like a decent donor. you could probably low ball the snot out of him. sounds like he really needs to sell.

Bronze.

1990 Brown Jeep Cherokee Laredo --- Traveling, must sell around 20th - $700 (Gresham)
00a0a_1DxjTkAamam_600x450.jpg

condition: fair
1990 jeep cherokee laredo odometer: 199000 automatic transmission title : clean

I'm buying a new car in Gresham, traveling from Olympia, WA area, so I need to sell the car the day I'm in town (sometime around the 20th, will be more specific when the date comes closer). The dealership would sell this car for scrap, but it runs fine and I'd rather give someone a deal on a car that's been very special to me. The car does have a few cosmetic issues (drivers door running board coming off exterior, huge huge crack in windshield, and the antenna doesn't retract anymore), but it looks fine overall, and nothing $200 and some elbow grease wouldn't fix. The car does have some mech issues too (leaks a tiny bit of oil and trans fluid-just check the fluids monthly really, the back liftgate doesn't hold itself open--I've always used a broomstick to hold it up and hasnt fallen on my head yet, and the AC makes a funny sound--it works! just makes a funny sound sometimes (i call it larry the AC squirrel), and the catalytic converter isn't connected to the muffler, which really just makes the car loud. Super loud.

Here are some stats:

About 19mpg hwy 11mpg city
Straight 6 cylinder engine
199,000 miles
Replaced the water pump in Jan 2014
Oil change in Jan 2014 (I suck at remembering oil changes I know)
Fixed major trans leak in March 2014
Spare tire included (not really a stat, I know)
And there is a outside temp display and compass (so cool)
4wd. Works. Hallelujah.
4 door model
Automatic Trans
Alloy wheels
Towing Package (used it, works)
And the seats have this really sturdy fabric that is leather trimmed. Real jeepy.

I think this car would make a fine car for a college student or other young adult or even someone who wants to restore it a bit. I wouldn't feel comfortable selling this car to a kid, because IT DOESN'T HAVE AIR BAGS. Never been a problem for me in the four years I've had it, but I would feel more comfortable selling this car to someone with a little driving experience.

I don't think I've missed anything, but if I have, feel free to inquire. Call, text, email.

Thanks!

you'll need to clearance the firewall.

The core support and hood latches are completely different. You need all that crap, and maybe the hood too.

You need ALL the wiring, massive changes.
Renix ECU and under dash mount. TCU and harness.
All the engine accessories.
Airbox, intake, all of that is completely different.
You really need everything under the hood.
AX-5 and 4.0 don't go together.

Find yourself a complete donor cherokee (in which case I'd probably find a wrecked OBDI donor) or swap in a newer 60* GM V6 as suggested.

This isnt a swap that I would want to attempt without a parts rig.

There are a few builds on Comanche club were people have done this so you might look over there to see what you would be getting into.

Personally I would leave it a 4cyl or swap to a V8, thats my plan if I ever take out the 4 banger.

Hey that 4cyl is a beast, there is a reason those came with their own little shock mounted on the motor, so that the vehicle can handle the massive torque and power those engines make lol

Back