• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for D35 & D44 pictures/questions

mark268

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 87 XJ wagoneer limited, trying to figure out what rear end it has. It does have a tow hitch on rear but I do not know if it is factory.
Can anyone provide pictures of what each look like from rear so I can compair? Maybe tell me how I can determine by looking at it?
Thanks.

D35 is oval and the D44 is more stop sighned shaped. Also the 335 has a 35C stamped in the center section on the top left rib and the 44 has 44 stamped on the centersection but I cannot remember where right now. Look here: http://www.nationwideparts.com/differentials.htm

Woo Hoo ! That is waht I was hoping to hear.

Woody, anything I need to watch on this thing? It is my first XJ, basically I am a live and die CJ guy but I have always loved the XJ look. I found this one in trade for a set of gears. it's an 87 limited wagoneer XJ brown with the beutiful woodgrain sides:bawl: 125k miles 4.0L, runs great ! No rust at all. long story how I found it.

Thanks for the info.

It's pretty much the "Mac-Daddy" family Jeep. She'll take a tow rigging, no problem. I suggest you change the Gear oil in those Danas every year. Even if you only drive it to and from work.

The owner's manual will direct you in the right direction as to which gear oil to use.

Well, um I don't have an owners manual for it.

Did this come factory with anything else "neat"? I am new to the XJ scene and I must have ran into a prety special cherokee, well at least one with a good rear axle.

Well, um I don't have an owners manual for it.

Did this come factory with anything else "neat"? I am new to the XJ scene and I must have ran into a prety special cherokee, well at least one with a good rear axle.

I have the same year, with a 44. Mine was pretty much basic everything but with a d44, class 3 hitch, gas tank skid, tc skid, and no tranny cooler :dunno:

here's a crappy pic of the axle, front view :)
http://www.geocities.com/foxfire13.geo/images/jeep3.html

Last edited:
It's a standard XJ. Different grill. Power everything. A/C... Like I said, "Family Style". Not to mention the woodness..!

Get yourself a Haynes, or Chilton's manual. That'll get ya goin'..

As far as things to watch: water pump, coolant system (in general), fuel injectors, O2 sensor. All the stuff you should change anyhow, like the filters, etc. Standard high mileage stuff.

I had some trouble with blow-by. I removed/cleaned/replaced the valve cover and gasket. At the same time I replaced the major vaccum line assembly.

Let me know if I can be of any more assistance..

yep, blow by here also. Right now I am getting the lift on, then going to start all the tune up stuff. She runs with no miss and no smoke or noise so i think it is pretty sound. All the fluids check good, need changed etc. Basic high milage tune up items.

picture.JPG

That is a Dana 35 out of mine with an ARB in it. Hope that helps. Juice

***If the pic is large, sorry***

dana axles have their number forged into the center section somewhere by the dif cover. look around, youll see a 44 or 35. you can guess which is which

Sir Fairnuff said:
Juciexj24,
Old news by now but what is an ARB??? A vacuum line to the toy of the housing???
Craig
An ARB is an aftermarket air operated locking differential.

Basically the strongest part in his D35.

This is my old D44, I have an 87 Wagoneer Limited, and another 87 Wagoneer limited parts vehicle. They both came with D44s. They seem to be a common place to find them. They weren't so common on Normal cherokees though.

Mine also has a tranny cooler, and Oil cooler, full guages, remote keyless entry, fulll skids, and front tow hooks from the factory. Funny thing is some 85yr old woman had it before me.

DSC00064.JPG

Back