• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

L.E.D. taillight w reverse light ?'s

OutkastBoss

NAXJA Forum User
First off we are talking about an 01 and I want my XJ to be street legal in as many states a possible so I think I want to use a white reverse light.
I have found some good info including bleepinjeeps video but have some questions maybe some of you can answer.

It looks like most people accomplish this with a trailer wiring module to convert to stop/flash/turn on one light and an electronic flasher to stop the fast blink.
Since I already have the stock tow package I figured I would wire the light off of that if possible.

So my question is would the electronic flasher fix the slow blink even if nothing was hooked up at all the the stock taillight wiring. I am assuming this is the case since some people only wire the trailer light converter on one side and run wires to the other.
I suppose another option is to wire it the easy way and add a rear facing aux.light on the back of the roof rack I plan to have later.

Another thing I am curious about is if the side marker is supposed to be a turn signal or a running light?

Also Jcr's Led's they sell look to be nice and bright where as a few led taillights I saw looked a bit dim. They do seem a bit overpriced though so if anyone has reccomendations on ones that are high quality and not marked up too much lmk.

Your local Carquest/Napa should have a decent selection of LED lights white, amber and red. Side marker is for "running light".
The electronic/no load flasher should solve the blink speed issue. Another simple fix is to run a resistor inline with the led light.

I use www.superbrightleds.com for all things LED. They ship out of St. Louis via USPS, so you'll get your order within two days. If you order in the morning, I've gotten orders the following day.

Here is a link to the Missouri laws regarding vehicle equipment:
http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/chapters/chap307.htm

A red rear reflector is required, some LED lights have them integrated, others don't.

I can't find specific rules on turn signals, but I know I've seen them in the past.

Thanks guys I will have to check out that L.e.d. place, I am from Stl.
I actually have a customer who lives across the street from a guy that has their logo on a pickup truck.

I am thinking of skipping the reverse light and wiring it the easy way, I will post up what I do and how it works out.

Bought these boxes second hand, added the side markers and the reverse light fit underneath.

The reverse light was $18 from Amazon as were the side markers which were a couple of bucks.

Daytime running lights:

$18 each from Amazon. The only issue I had was because I had a U-Haul wiring adapter that caused cross talk in the turn signals and stop lights because of the lower resistance( I assume.)

Re: L.E.D. taillight w reverse light

I bought my taillights from jcroffroad. I bought all my LEDs off amazon. It seems like right now the only company making metal taillight housing for the 1997 and newer is jcr. As far as runnin reverse lights the 2 1/2 inch hole will not give you a bright enough reverse light.i mounted small fog lights to the bottom of the bumper for reverse. As far as LEDs for the jcr housing. for the oval I used grote 53622 $39 each for stop and running lights, I used amber 2 1/2 grote g1033 $10 each for turns and the side marker as ran as a running light 2" grote g3002 $7 each. Bot don't forget mounting flanger for the 2" and 2 1/2 grote 43152 and 43162 $6 each. When wiring led tail lights on 1997 and newer it seem like no two Cherokees act the same way.As far as hyper blink I originally got a electric flasher unit and all it did was drain my battery from buzzing all the time. So I went back to the regular flasher and bought two 50w 6 ohs load resisters from amazon for $8 and and them between the positive and neg on both turns and it fixed it.then the turn signals stayed on with the running lights but still flashed. I don't know if it had anything to do with Unplugging the headlight switch delay and they started working again and the headlight work fine to. But I wouldn't unplug it unless you have the issue. The computer in the jeep may also need time to learn the LEDs but I am just guessing on that.

Last edited:
Fred, are you running just one of those 6 led lights for backup, or two?
I've been eyeballing that same light. Thinking of running a single one mounted in the center of the rear.

Single, drivers side. I think the picture is a little deceiving. It doesn't look quite that bright in person.

Back