• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Family taco

xj5280

NAXJA Forum User
Well with the XJ 4 sale, I pulled the trigger on the new wheeling/camping/expo rig

imagejpg1_zps7ac5237e.jpg

It's an 05' TRD offroad/auto w/90k from Texas. Has a 2" old man emu with Firestone Mts (that have to go once I get the ok from the swmbo).

Already fixed the overhead temp. With some soldering and sprayed some undercoat on the frame rails. (Owned it for all of 3 hrs.)

Have a rear LEER topper set up to be installed this next week and a couple odds and ends. The majority of the work has already been done before purchase but I forsee some LED bars and ARB beer coolers being installed.

:loveu:

Last edited:
Nice, these new IFS toyota's are pretty stout. I don't have the heart to scratch mine, but I read about people running some fun trails with the comfortable IFS. Congrats!

I've heard a lot of good things about this IFS, and the rear... Well it's an 8" with leafs, stupid dependable.

It's got a couple of dings here and there so I hopefully won't feel to restricted as to where I take this thing, though, I don't see it ending up on spring creek or red chinamans in the near future.

I've been a Tacoma guy my whole life. I'd suggest checking out the Tacoma world forum. Awesome place and very active. Here's my baby I just sold for a subie and a xj. You will love it. Just watch out the CV Boots can be a pain when wheeling hard.
dyqyzuty.jpg
amavugup.jpg

So even tho it's been crazy at work and along with trying to sell my JEEP, I have been able to do some mods to the TACO.

• got the leer topper for the dogs
• platinum deep cycle battery
• some rain guards
• changed the oil
• headlight restore

image_zps4b592230.jpg

My favorite truck! What are the plans now since it sounds like you sold the xj?

The xj was great and would drive anywhere I really ever wanted to go, thing was, didn't meet the needs of my wife...

So with this truck I'm looking at being able to go to the places I have never been before that I have always wanted to see. Like; canyon lands/arches, glacier national park, Mesa verde, Grand Canyon, etc... Just something that is capable to do some 1-5 trails but get myself, 3 dogs, wife, and camping creature comforts to these spots and back.

So far the mods will be
• Lighting - some LEDS
• tires - Duratracs
• camping awning
• possible roof top tent (still talking to the wifey about it)
• dog beds :)
• brush guard
• front receiver for quick connect 10k winch
• 10k winch and cradle w/synthetic rope
• quick connect extension for rear receiver winching

No real specific order but since I got my full "Craigslist" asking price i have an extra 1500-2000$ to work with for mods. Tho, that might be thrown at her jk.

Took it out over the weekend.

Went over guenella pass to 285 down to Buena vista, camped over night at mt. antereo. Next morning over to Webster pass and stayed the night right before the avalanche.

Truck did fine, I aired down to 16 psi for trails and it ran em rather smooth. Leaves a little bit to desire after the jeep so I may switch out to full coilovers and angle correction spindles and/or heim joint uppers instead of ball joints. All in all, great package for some CO adventuring with dogs and the wife.

image_zps8a3ff7df.jpg

image_zpsb7577ca6.jpg

Avalanche:
image_zpsaeb52160.jpg

After the trip I was really concerned about how uncomfortable the ride off-road was. I researched and did a lot of investigating on what was wrong or why it was so harsh. Came up that the PO had installed by mile hi 4x4 a 886 OME kit- which turns out is for HD plate bumpers and winches in the front. :twak: obviously this truck does not have any aftermarket armor. So the compression was impossible to get.

So after a long decision I have order some fox 2.5 adjustable coil overs and camburg uni ball light racing UCA. There goes my budget but should ride a lot nicer on and off-road. Will post pics of them installed, which if everything ships should be this weekend!

Looks awesome. I want a taco but I can't afford it right now even if I sold the Jeep. A buddy has one and I was researching kits for him, those Fox setups look amazing.

How roomy are the back seats? I've been contemplating one as well for a few years. Still love my paid off XJ, but could use a truck and ideally a bit more rear seating space. If nothing else, the rear doors look bigger which is the main complaint I hear of people getting in and out of the XJ.

Still not ready to ditch the XJ, but I'm getting closer... I don't really want 5 vehicles so adding to the stable isn't really an option for the 2 of us.

Looks awesome. I want a taco but I can't afford it right now even if I sold the Jeep. A buddy has one and I was researching kits for him, those Fox setups look amazing.

I am getting excited! My wife is going to kill me cause I'm dipping in to the savings and haven't told her yet, but I am hoping on our first camping outing (as a family) proves itself worth the investment.

How roomy are the back seats? I've been contemplating one as well for a few years. Still love my paid off XJ, but could use a truck and ideally a bit more rear seating space. If nothing else, the rear doors look bigger which is the main complaint I hear of people getting in and out of the XJ.

Yea, it is has a lot of room. Last weekend my friend (about 250 lbs - 6'3") sat in the back and didn't bitch for the ride up to Webster pass.

Finally got the coil overs and UCA's installed. I usually love dealing with poly performance but this time around it was ver disappointing. I ended up pulling my order from them and going with down south motorsports.

Anyways, got everything installed and WOW! What a difference, I'm loving the ride and not getting a squeak! Well not from the front... Now my OME rear shocks are squeaking, so I am looking at fox 2.0 adjustable resi's for the back.
I just paid off the CC from these 2.5 fox shocks so might as well put some more on it.

image_zpsb4466098.jpg

Other than the shocks I have installed some weather tech mats that saved my interior and a die hard platinum... Nothing to exciting...

In no particular order... No pics of the shelf road, down to the punch bowl. A lot of traffic cause of the mile hi jeep club and pretty tight in the taco..

imagejpg9_zps30a23a14.jpg

imagejpg8_zpsad6f14fb.jpg

imagejpg7_zps333540fb.jpg

imagejpg4_zpsc2b5e366.jpg

imagejpg1_zps73873577.jpg

imagejpg3_zpsbc60848f.jpg

imagejpg2_zps0a224d17.jpg

imagejpg6_zps2284790b.jpg

imagejpg5_zps49ddbf9d.jpg

Back