• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Gremlin

Wondering if anybody can help my with another electrical gremlin. Here's what happens.

A couple of weeks ago my A/C fan switch was acting up. I switched it from low to high with no result. I moved the temp control left to right once or twice and bam, the fan kicked on.

The second instance, I turned on the wipers in the AM and nothing. I switched the fan from high to low and bam, the fan and the wipers kicked on.

The third time everything above happened but in addition, I noticed my temp display in my overhead console was off until everything else came on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

96 Country, S-6, 4dr, AW4, NP231

Last edited:
Check your grounds. There is a ground going from the motor to the firewall. Looks like a meshy type cable. Run a normal ground cable instead of that. After that check on the driver side floor board area. There is a black wire going to the E-Brake pedal assembly. Make sure that bad boy is hooked up too.

I made my own battery cables a few months ago with 2/0 welding cable....it's what I had. I replaced the braided engine to firewall ground at the same time with the same material.

Even though I'm running a 96, I did cruisers54s write up "sorry, cant post a link for credit where its due" for upgrading the ground under the dash at the same time.

I ground every contact down to bare metal and put a little Ox-Guard on every connection.

The only grounds in the entire jeep that I haven't upgraded or touched up are the three on the oil dip stick tube bracket. I don't think I can get the screw out without stripping the head. Any recommendations on where I could re-attach these should I choose to cut them and replace the connectors?

Back