• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to get a cheap hitch receiver

They are a PITA to remove with hand tools at pick and pull, don't forget the nutstrips that slide into the frame that the bolts go into

Unfortunately my 2001 does not have a hitch receiver, and I want one for a bike rack or light towing and as a rear recovery point. What's the cheapest way to add one?
I have removed several at the local pick-a-part. I take a battery powered 1/2" impact gun, along with a 1/2" breaker bar to bust the hitch bolts loose. You also need tools to remove the rear bumper to access the needed nut strips.
Never paid more than $25 for a Factory hitch.

he's in CA, so rusted hardware isn't so much an issue.

for the PITA it is to get at the nut strips I'd just buy new ones.

If you do go to the junkyard to get one, you might get lucky and find one with the gas tank skid (if you don't already have one) on the same XJ.

Yeah I don't think there are any junkyards within reasonable driving distance of me, that's why I posted here.

Not with that attitude there isnt... Your not in montana, your in the OC.

Id say check the socal forum, but you'd probably say anything you'd find there was 'too far' as well...

Back