• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OK to disconnect rear shackle?

BrianDunning

NAXJA Forum User
I've never taken off a leaf spring before, so forgive me if this is a stupid question. If I disconnect my rear shackle in order to lubricate everything, will I be able to get it back on, or will I need to borrow Captain America to bend the leaf back into place?

I've never taken off a leaf spring before, so forgive me if this is a stupid question. If I disconnect my rear shackle in order to lubricate everything, will I be able to get it back on, or will I need to borrow Captain America to bend the leaf back into place?
No, the shackle is easy to replace since it swings.
You do need a floor jack and two jack stands. Jack it up and put it on stands so that the rear wheels are off the ground when the jack is removed. Remove the wheels.
Keep the jack under the rear differential to raise and lower axle, to aid in the spring replacement.

If the leaf bolts are not rust and can be removed, it isn't a tough job. Takes me less then a couple hours to change both leaf packs by myself, working a calm pace, sipping a cold one.
Make sure to check for proper u-joint angles after the new springs are installed.

Per above...

However, if this is actually STOCK, there is no reason to do this as there are no greasable bushings on the shackle. Removing the holds and greasing them does nothing as they are not used to support the vehicle.

-Ron

Per above...

However, if this is actually STOCK, there is no reason to do this as there are no greasable bushings on the shackle. Removing the bolts and greasing them does nothing as they are not used to support the vehicle.

-Ron

I would recommend a bit of caution. If the spring bolts have never been removed, they can rust themselves into position which will quickly turn this into a bear of a job that can require the purchase of new spring hangers and about 10 hours worth of work if you break one off. Also note that the shackles are connected through rubber bushings so they won't want to swing and again, if you try to loosen them and they break off, it is a much tougher job.

My upper shackle bolts are REALLY tight and after breaking off a spring bolt (and having to buy and install a replacement bracket) I chose not to test fate by forcing them loose. Instead, I was able to use a pry-bar and a long screwdriver to position the rear shackles (using the screwdriver to hold it in place while I threaded the bolt back through so it is do-able.

Back