• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jk control arms on xj

mopar4x4

NAXJA Forum User
From what I've read the rear uca from a jk was supposed to be a bolt on deal for a lca, but I ran into a problem. The control arm is about a half inch too narrow. Has anyone else ran into this problem?

From what I've read the rear uca from a jk was supposed to be a bolt on deal for a lca, but I ran into a problem. The control arm is about a half inch too narrow. Has anyone else ran into this problem?

Don't remember reading about this on :NAXJA:.
Where did you hear about this mod? It doesn't look like an upgrade.

Sure you have not confused the JK rear UCAs with the WJ front LCAs?
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoWJcontrolarms.htm

Alot of people have done it. The jk's are longer than stock xj and have the bend like the wj.

Got some links from NAXJA.
They should be there if this practice is so common.
Your 'links' should have the details, if mods are involved.

I have seen a lot of mods on this forum, JF and even Pirate that are totally wrong. Not everything you read on the internet is right, even here.

Alot of people have done it. The jk's are longer than stock xj and have the bend like the wj.

I assume your lengthening your uppers an equal amount some how?

and as far as that gap, nothing to be done there unless you own a welder and can remake the mounting point. No washer/bushing or other kind of spacer is going to work out well.

edit:
I googled it, I found about 3 threads that varied from "yes it will work" to "no, it won't unless you modify the mounting points"

none of them had photos of jk arms on an XJ/TJ. So I'm going with this is a vaporware mod.

Last edited:
IMO...

Until and unless the gap is closed via a hardened spacer, this installation is unsafe to drive. It is only a matter of time until it self destructs from the CA sliding back and forth. A motion that is never to be allowed to occur.

As to the thickness of the CA itself, if the part works in an acceptable fashion on the JK then it will, most likely, hold up on an XJ. There appears to be no reliable data on this so, who really knows?

BUT....

That gap needs to be closed. My recommendation would be to remove the CA and measure it off of the suspension. Just subtract this from the XJ CA and get a spacer made.

IMO... The use of a non hardened washer to take up space in the suspension is just asking for yet another failure point.

Again IMO, the spacers should be hardened to at least 60 on the Rockwell scale.

But then again, what do I know...

As to the thickness of the CA itself, if the part works in an acceptable fashion on the JK then it will, most likely, hold up on an XJ. There appears to be no reliable data on this so, who really knows?

but it it also an upper on a JK, the lower sees substantially more force than the upper.

I would agree that any spacer needs to be hardened, and should be at least the diameter of the rubber bushing so it can't twist and exert that leverage to the bolt.

but it it also an upper on a JK, the lower sees substantially more force than the upper.

I would agree that any spacer needs to be hardened, and should be at least the diameter of the rubber bushing so it can't twist and exert that leverage to the bolt.

Quite right about the diameter. It needs be the same as the CA OD to ensure complete control.

As to the advisability of the mod, no data on it right?

I guess somebody has to get brave.

Won't be me though...

Back