• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

problem removing front 4.0 timing chain seal

gordoribm

NAXJA Forum User
Stock 1996 4.0 classic auto XJ. Both front and rear seals leak but since I am in the middle of a full AC rebuild with the radiator and condenser out I thought I would change the front seal. Having read all the threads I can find I am careful not to hook the timing chain case bottom stop for the seal. The harmonic balancer came off with the aid of an Autozone rental tool. Using several different size screwdrivers but all I seem to accomplish is to demolish the damn seal. I don't want to score the timing chain cover getting the seal out either. I have the new one so I know what it looks like just can't get the old one out. Is there a special tool or knack to this ?

There are any number of methods to get them out. There is a special tool for doing such on that seal, but I don't think they work any better than a screw driver. Maybe try a pair vise grips and grab the seal?

You could always remove the timing cover.

Vice grips didn't work, I couldn't grab enough of it. After deforming the thing with screwdrivers I drove in one side with screwdriver and hammer. Managed not to damage the timing chain cover and still got the seal out. All going back together although it is supposed to be 111 here today which may slow me down some ...l need that AC working.
I found a trick to hold the harmonic balancer to turn the retaining bolt. I used a 16" piece of 3/8 rebar ground down on one end to wedge between the frame and hook into one of the balancing holes on the face of the balancer. Works better than removing the starter for somebody working alone.

Back