• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cam Bearings

Pretty much already at the "best" location.
CT2.JPG

CT3.JPG

I though about using those at one point... but the stock location is already best according to AERA. One thought is to use those bearings, install the main hole in the stock location but then create another hole (~.060") in another location. But where? #2 and #3 should also see the higher loads as there are lifters on either side of the bearing.

I though about using those at one point... but the stock location is already best according to AERA. One thought is to use those bearings, install the main hole in the stock location but then create another hole (~.060") in another location. But where? #2 and #3 should also see the higher loads as there are lifters on either side of the bearing.

Doing some web surfing about cam bearing failures it seems #2 and #3 take a beating for some reason, although a Chrysler tech told me #1 bearing is the bad guy in the long run and shows its arse with fluxuating/transient high oil pressure.

Good question about where to put the .060 hole. Perhaps at the 9 o'clock position(?).

Since its all stock I wouldn't stress over it much. Most of the cam bearing failures I have seen have been in strokers. Just make sure the cam retention (plate or pin and spring) is installed and working well.

Since its all stock I wouldn't stress over it much. Most of the cam bearing failures I have seen have been in strokers. Just make sure the cam retention (plate or pin and spring) is installed and working well.

That's what I was thinking.

Being that stock 4.0's go hundreds of thousands of miles without cam bearing failures; but that stock rebuilt engines seem to have #2 and #3 bearing failures there seems to be problems out there. Whether it's the bearings used or they were improperly installed I don't know.

On a different subject:

Do you have any opinions on Melling MC1377 camshafts? The specs on this cam seem to match up with the specs in the FSM ('99), but I can't find any reviews on them.

Back