• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Toe Adjustment. Track bar won't budge

Boudroux

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Toe Adjustment. tie rod won't budge

2000, 4x4, 3.5 lift, stock steering.

My tires are toe'd out and I can't get the darn tie rod to turn. Last night I soaked both ends in penetrating oil, both clamps are loose and off, I've tried heating the bar with a small torch, hitting/tapping with hammer and nothing.

I'm using my 18" pipe wrench and am afraid I'm going to break/bend the crap out of something. Realistically I'm sure the forces of driving put more stress then I ever will with this wrench but I ain't got no more strength than what I've thrown at it already.

Any suggestions/tricks to try or just keep soaking, tapping etc?

Last edited:
First off, the track bar has nothing to do with toe. That is the tie rod.

I had one stuck so bad once that I drilled a small hole in it, then filled it with a mixture of ATF and Acetone and had to leave it for a day. Then I used a large pipe wrench.

First off, the track bar has nothing to do with toe. That is the tie rod.

I had one stuck so bad once that I drilled a small hole in it, then filled it with a mixture of ATF and Acetone and had to leave it for a day. Then I used a large pipe wrench.

Thanks for correcting me on the name and the response.

The relief slots in the tie rod happen to be on top for both ends so I've been filling up the slot and letting it soak in. I'm wondering if there is another problem. The rig drove just fine until my last trip. On the way home I noticed how much different it handled and when I got home you can easily see the tires toe'd way out and they measured 1/2+ out. That is a lot and I'm wondering if somehow one end got pulled hard enough to have skipped/buggered up the threads and that is why it won't move. TRE's look good, no play and the steering is tight, it just wanders like a drunk going down the road.

Re: Toe Adjustment. tie rod won't budge

2000, 4x4, 3.5 lift, stock steering.

My tires are toe'd out and I can't get the darn tie rod to turn. Last night I soaked both ends in penetrating oil, both clamps are loose and off, I've tried heating the bar with a small torch, hitting/tapping with hammer and nothing.

I'm using my 18" pipe wrench and am afraid I'm going to break/bend the crap out of something. Realistically I'm sure the forces of driving put more stress then I ever will with this wrench but I ain't got no more strength than what I've thrown at it already.

Any suggestions/tricks to try or just keep soaking, tapping etc?

You need at least MAPP gas preferably Oxy/Acetylene. Those little propane torches don't do the job. If it's not glowing you're wasting your time. :wierd:

I got it. Lots and lots of mapp gas torch and she darn near turned by hand. I kept heating until shit was snap, crackling and popping. Once my wife walked into the garage and claimed the house was on fire but she can't figure out where I knew it was time.

Thanks all.

Did you find any issues to why you ended up 1/2" out?

Can't really pinpoint one thing. I was thinking the threads were all buggered up but once I broke it free everything turned nice and easy.

Maybe I drive way to fast on the dirt road in the AM for my weekly coyote hunt. LOL

Back