• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01XJ ABS brake test?

McQue

NAXJA Forum User
I own a stock 01XJ , Automatic 6cyl

Had to lock up the brakes to avoid a car that pulled out in front of me.
The road was slightly wet. My tires locked up, I slid about 50 to 75 feet and stopped. I never felt the ABS kick in and automatically pump the brakes. I was going about 40mph or less when I hit the brakes. I have felt them kick in on another occasion when I had to lock em up.

So now I am wondering if they are working properly. Is there a way to properly road test them?

No CEL light, no codes pending, Jeep is running fine.

I'll ask the obvious. Are you sure your jeep is ABS equipped? Lots of them aren't.

Only way to test it (other than trying to force it to activate) is to hook it up to the Chrysler scan tool. Other high end scan tools like a Snap On Ethos, or other similar diagnostics tools might be able to do it tool, but it has to be able to communicate with the Chrysler software...

well, low budget confirm voltage coming out of the sensors. You can do this with a volt-meter. This won't confirm they read the proper speed but it will confirm there are is some function. Your abs kicks in when a wheel speed sensor signals a lock up situation and initiates the action of the ABS hold and release solenoids. If it senses any faults though it disables the system. See if you can get codes pulled and it can make your pinpoint process so much easier.

If there is an issue with a sensor the ABS system will throw a code. I wouldn't be too concerned with the sensors. If there is in fact a problem with the ABS and the ABS light isn't on I would point toward the ABS controller on the pump.

Back