• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Gate Issues

Jeepin_it

NAXJA Forum User
New to the jeep world sorry if this is a newbie question but my rear gate on my 98 won't open. Is there anyway to get it open without the latch? it will lock and unlock but when I try to pull it open it just kinda wiggles but won't open for the life of it. Want to get it open without any damage to the gate so I can just replace the latch. Thanks!

Take the license plate off and then remove the little screw hole plugs. With a long flat blade screwdriver go in through the driver side upper hole and pry up on the latch release mechanism (feel around for a small piece of threaded rod). Once you figure it out, any future times will go very quickly. I have found that the little plastic arm on the latch breaks off and causes your problem.

Once you get it open, you can take the inner panel off, and adjust the little arm that actuates the mechanism. You'll see what arm it is, when you open it up, because it's adjustable. Shorten it a little, but no more than you need, or it won't latch at all.

The mechanism has a weak point, in that the movement of the handle must be turned 90 degrees to operate the latch, and the center pin of the handle mechanism eventually wears out enough that there's too much play in it to compensate with the rod. You can, if diligent, tighten that play, and restore operation. I used a split washer which I opened up, drove in then reclosed.

But for most of the time, shortening the rod, and pushing in on the hatch, together, will solve your problem.

Ill give the license plate angle a try. I did loosen the bolts underneath the bumper and that didnt do the trick. I managed to get it open since I posted but my friends girlfriend closed it thinking it would open right back up :gonna blow Thanks for the tips I'll post if I get it fixed. And no there aren't any blankets back there I don't put much back there since it hasn't opened but 5 times since I've owned it. Thanks for the tips guys!

Back